Chapter Twelve

Natalia's P.O.V
Editing

After that night Luis has been avoiding having conversations with me. I would find my breakfast and vitamins on the kitchen island with a note. He replaced the calls with text messages, I would only reply to what he's asked.

There was a time when he never came back. I tried to call but his phone was off, Mike would come in and check on me. I asked him if he knew where the boss was, he just said he needed a little time. I really didn't know what I'll do if he even came back.

I stopped worrying about him even though I would stay up sometimes, wondering if his wife knew about this arrangement. What if she doesn't treat the baby well? What if she takes her issues into the child? If only I knew what was going through his mind.

What have I done? Giving my child to strangers for money? I cried thinking about how selfish I was. I called my dad lucky my mom was working night shift. I knew my dad would be disappointed but he is forgiving unlike my mom. She always warned me about life and how everything has consequences.

I didn't tell my dad I just said I did something bad. He tried to help me come down as always, he said soothing words. Telling me everything was going to be okay but I knew nothing was ever going to be okay.

*****
It's been a week, no sign of Luis but Mike kept on telling me it wasn't my fault that Luis was going through a lot. We got close these past few days, he came in every morning check if I ate breakfast or if I took my vitamins. One night he took me out for dinner, said it was the 'boss's idea which I found very odd.

I was preparing to go to the doctor's appointments when I received a message from Luis, saying he wouldn't be able to come. I wasn't expecting him anyways, I guess things are not going as he planned. I went to the car, Mike drove us to the clinic.

"I guess your boss still needs to talk with his wife about all this. Or maybe she didn't like this idea."

You might wanna know why I keep on saying 'his wife', well the watch I found at the hotel had an engraving. I knew then and there that he was married because that was a wedding vow " I promise you my friendship, my fullest devotion and all my Love."

He looked at me confused then back at road." The boss didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what? That his wife couldn't get pregnant but she won't have his baby? "

"No. It's not my place to tell you, I believe he'll tell you as soon as he's ready."

"Now you're scaring me."

"Don't be, just be patient the boss went through a lot, four years ago. This situation brings back painful memories for him."

"What happened? "

"Okay, all I can say is that he lost his chance at having a family. Let him tell you everything else himself or just use Google that way he won't think I told you."

After that we got into the clinic, I couldn't stop thinking about what might have happened. I'll do my research as soon as I get home. The checkup went well, I was now six weeks pregnant. The heartbeat was okay, she gave a prescription.

I went past the pharmacy on my way home. When we reach the house I told Mike I'd be okay on my own. I made something to eat then went to sit in my room. I took my laptop and began my research, I can't believe I didn't do this earlier.

Turns out Luis Dos Galato lost his pregnant wife due to some genetic complications. There was a lot of things being said, good and bad. I was shocked when I saw the funeral details, I see why he's been MIA.

I knew not to meddle anymore, I never called nor send him any more messages. I knew he needed to mourn, the anniversary must have triggered it. Now I had one more question, how is he going to raise a child on his own? He's always busy with work, hiring a nanny to raise a child won't work.

The child might end up resenting him, not unless he has a plan of spending more time at home. He does need happiness and someone to talk to. Maybe I should show him that while I'm still around. I'll start by checking if he's okay.