Chapter Six

Natalia's P.O.V
Editing

A week had passed without any word from Luis. His silence on the matter of the surrogate proposal left me both relieved and anxious. Part of me wished he had lost his phone, rendering him incapable of reaching out. A wicked smile crept across my face at the thought.

Turning to my friend Jes for advice, her initial concern was that Luis might be blackmailing me, given our previous encounter. It was an unsettling notion, and even I couldn't be certain of his intentions.

"No, at least I don't think so," I replied, wrestling with the uncertainty.

"Do you think you'll consider it?" Jes inquired, her words dripping with curiosity about whether I'd entertain the idea for monetary gain.

"We've always talked about our academic pursuits and valedictorian aspirations," I began, my mind grappling with the monumental decision. The competition between us for that coveted title was fierce.

"I'll support you in whatever you do. Just keep me in the loop so I can tell Charlie. He wanted us to move in together since he started working." Jes' support was unwavering, but her own life was evolving, and she had to make room for her relationship.

Charlie, Jes's boyfriend, had long wished for them to move in together. Jes had put that off for my sake, and their decision to do so now would take their relationship to a new level. They were deeply in love, and marriage might be on the horizon, especially given her upcoming graduation.

"Okay, I'll keep you informed. I need to talk to Luis before making a decision. Even though the idea of surrogacy doesn't sit well with me, I have to devise a plan to secure my sister's tuition. It doesn't look like she'll be as fortunate as I was to get a full scholarship." I explained, my thoughts drifting to my younger sister, blissfully ignorant of the sacrifices I made to support our family. She believed I was always too busy with schoolwork or work to spend time with her.

Jes left me alone in our room to contemplate. I decided to call Luis, despite my reservations, and take the first step in addressing his proposal, hoping he wouldn't answer.

"Hello, I'm Natalia Barker, and I'm looking for Mr. Valdez," I stated when a woman's voice answered the call.

"Oh, he's been anticipating your call. I think he's in a meeting, but I'll inform him as soon as he returns," the voice responded. It was apparent that he had been eagerly awaiting my response. I reclined on my bed, mulling over my next steps as I waited for his return.

After a brief wait, my phone rang. "Hello, I see you've finally made a decision," Luis declared, a hint of satisfaction in his voice.

"Yes, I am willing to do it, but under one condition: no one can know about this. My family must remain unaware, and I need the process to be completed before my final exams. They'll be attending my graduation." I explained, the weight of my decision pressing down on me.

"Agreed. I'll arrange for my lawyer to meet with you tomorrow. We'll formalize our agreement in writing," he responded, the tone of his voice switching to business mode. It was a stark reminder that I was venturing into uncharted territory with this unconventional partnership.

The following day, I had a meeting with Luis's lawyer, who revealed that he was a prosperous businessman. I was instructed to maintain absolute confidentiality to safeguard his reputation. He had called simply to confirm if I agreed to the terms he had proposed, all of which I had accepted. However, one crucial detail was missing from the contract: how I was going to become pregnant.

"Don't worry," the lawyer reassured me, "he has arranged everything with the surrogate clinic. The entire process will take place in New York, meaning you'll be relocating as soon as you sign the contract." Although it clarified the logistics, there were still many questions on my mind. I asked the lawyer if he could arrange a call with Mr. Valdez again.

After carefully reading through the contract, I signed it and received my copy. Everything became clear, and I was informed that the first payment, a sum of $20,000, would be provided after our initial appointment.

Returning to the dorms, I found Jes sitting on her bed, intently browsing apartment listings on her laptop. She looked up as I entered, concern etched across her face.

"You're finally back. I was worried about you. So, how did it go?" she inquired, her eyes searching mine.

I hesitated for a moment, then replied, "I signed the contract. It means I'll be pregnant soon." I confessed, my voice tinged with anxiety.

"They want me to move as early as possible."

"I thought you also wanted to do this soon?"

"Yeah, I do, but it seems to—"

"You know what, stop overthinking. Let me see the contract." Jes snatched the document from my hand and began taking pictures of it. She zeroed in on the monetary aspect. "Wow! All this money for being pregnant? He's giving you $20 000 a month! And he's covering your medical expenses. Plus, after giving birth, you get a quarter of a million dollars?" She seemed incredulous, her expression shifting between happiness and concern.

I could only nod in response. She couldn't contain her excitement as she glimpsed the pictures of the apartment I would live in and the temporary car he was providing. I, on the other hand, remained lost in my thoughts. "I can't believe I'm trading the opportunity of losing my virginity for this," I admitted, worrying that I was losing a part of myself to something that might ultimately consume me.

Jes offered her perspective, saying that as long as I underwent a C-section, I could technically remain considered a virgin since I wouldn't be physically involved with anyone. However, I couldn't help but feel uneasy about the whole situation.