186(G)

the street's asleep so i breathe you in deep

     mygalfriday (BrinneyFriday)

.)

He feels like he knows her long before he meets her. Every time he talks to Amy, she mentions her new university friend and the latest outrageous thing she’s done. Her voice is always bright and amused when she speaks of her, full of laughter and that fierce protectiveness he has come to recognize.

It’s almost enough to make him jealous. Ever since they were children, Amy and Rory have been his, well, just his. His pseudo parents, his best mates, his support system. Now, with the two of them studying in England and him all the way in Israel, he feels like he’s losing them.

He worries that the longer he’s away, the smaller his place in their lives will grow to be. Amy would call him an idiot for that if she knew and he’s relieved to discover when he visits them during the summer that she’d be right. She throws herself into his arms with a delighted squeal when she opens the door to find him on the other side, her lanky arms tight around his neck and her brilliant red hair soft against his cheek.

“Hello, Pond.”

“Oh, I’ve missed you!” She pulls away from his embrace to shove at his chest, still grinning. “What are you doing here?”

Smiling just as widely back at her, he bounces on his toes and says, “Just thought I’d pop in – remind you of how much you should be missing me.”

Amy glares, arms crossed over her chest.

He huffs, scratching his cheek. “And I might have missed you too. A bit.”

She laughs, the stern expression sliding right off her face as she leans in and hugs him again. He wraps her up tight, squeezing his eyes shut. Sometimes, he misses his best mates so much it aches deep down in his chest and there is nothing quite like having it soothed by their arms around him. It makes him feel like a little boy again, small and quiet, but safe so long as Amy and Rory held his hands on the playground.

Amy kisses his cheek and steps away again, beaming. “You’re staying at least for the night, aren’t you? Rory’ll want to see you.”

“I’ll be here.” He grins. “How is Roranicus? Perfect as ever?”

“Oh stop it, you.” She blushes. “He’s been busy interning at the hospital. They’ve got him on night shifts.”

She shrugs as she says it but he sees the little smile curling her mouth and hears the pride in her voice she’d never admit to out loud. “So,” he claps his hands together, hoping his face is politely curious rather than indignantly jealous. “Who is this new friend of yours? The archaeologist-to-be? Yawn. Couldn’t find any exciting friends, Pond?”

“Doctor -”

He forges ahead, determined to remind her he is definitely still the most exhilarating person in hers and Rory’s life. “You know archaeologists are just failed adventurers, don’t you? They need a job as an excuse to travel. Cowardly bores, the whole lot of them.”