135(G)

and you knew what it was, he is in love

        mygalfriday (BrinneyFriday)

one}

When he shows up at her dorm an hour before midnight in the middle of finals week, River wants to slap him. He sits at the side of her bed in the dark, grinning down at her, bouncing just enough to jostle the mattress. When she opens one eye to glare at him, he giggles. “River, get up.”

“Go away.”

“But River -”

She swats at him. “Sleeping.”

“Are not.” He pokes her in the side and she silently awards him a few points for sheer stupid bravery. “Come on, you can’t sleep at a time like this.”

Grasping his wrist mid-poke and squeezing with just enough force for him to get her threatening message – stop now or face the consequences – she asks, “A time like what?”

Hastily wriggling his hand from her death-grip, he wheedles, “River, I am trying to be romantic. Come on, come on, come on.”

“Romantic?” She repeats sleepily, frowning. “What -”

Oh. It’s the middle of the night. He’s desperate enough to actually wake her up and try his best to coerce her into his TARDIS. He’s babbling about romance. It’s all starting to come together in a rather adorable, slightly pathetic picture. In the short time River has known him, the Doctor has never been very good at asking for sex.

With a sigh, River opens her eyes and pushes away her blankets, sitting up. “Alright,” she mumbles, rubbing at her face. “But then I need to sleep and you aren’t going to bother me, are you?”

He shakes his head, leaping to his feet to look down at her eagerly. “Cross my hearts.”

With a yawn, River follows him into his ship, parked at the foot of her bed. It’s only in the warm light of the control room that she realizes the Doctor is wearing a tux. She can’t deny he looks absolutely delicious in one – she thought so even when she was trying to kill him – but why he felt the need to dress up for a booty call is utterly beyond her. Most things about the Doctor are beyond her.

Shrugging, River rounds the console, following after the Doctor as he switches levers and presses buttons, sending them into the vortex. Wrapping her arms around his waist from behind, she nuzzles her cheek against his back and smiles when he shudders. “Where would you like me, sweetie?”

He hums. “Wardrobe.”

“Ooh, are we dressing up?” She tips her head back to meet his eyes as he turns in her arms, wondering if he’s finally agreeing to let her play the naughty nurse to his Doctor. He’s always so shy about roleplay, bless. “How exciting.”

He frowns at her. “Well, of course we’re dressing up. Don’t be silly.”