11

You are not alone

                           Kat92

She doesn’t do it on purpose, well, she does sometimes, but this is not one of those times. Sometimes she does go looking for trouble, in the hope of The Doctor turning up to help. But she’s been doing this for too long and 9 out of 10 times, he doesn’t show at all. Unlike The Doctor though, sometimes River just escapes trouble, without solving it, because she runs faster than the people chasing her.

Like now, running down an alley in 31st century New York, guns blazing. She might have gotten on the bad side of a group of gangsters (yes, there will always be gangsters in New York). But that’s not the important thing. The important thing is, that when she turned a corner, she collided with a wooden surface. There wasn’t much time to recover from the shock, but she didn’t need it, all it took was one look and River knew what she had run into.

The sound of running feet was still approaching, so River hurried up and fished out her key from her leather pants and unlocked the door, hurried inside and let it slam shut behind her. Leaned up against the door, River looked at the desktop. She had seen it before, of course, but her heart still sank a bit as she knew he wouldn’t know her. She always knew him, but he hardly ever recognized her. Still, she put one her brave face, River had seen much worse than this, this was nothing.

“Hello Sweetie, I trust you won’t mind giving me a lift?” River smiled as she stepped up to the console and helped herself, moving levers and pressing buttons, but not taking off, not yet.

“Who are you?” The Doctor said, sounding insulted. River turned to face him, smiling as she saw the big ears and not the porcupine hair. She had already figured out that it wouldn’t be a husband who remembered her, when she saw both the outside of the TARDIS and the current desktop. This was post-time war, but pre-her Doctor. Maybe even pre-Rose. She studied his face for a moment, effected by the pain in his eyes, that was visible, no matter how much he tried to hide it.

“I’m a friend” River held up her key as proof. He didn’t give them out to anyone, not now and not then. “From your future”

“How do you know me then?”

“Well, not many others have a TARDIS disguised as a police box. And I have met this face before”

He looked confused for a moment, until she pulled her Mnemosine recall-wipe vapour out of her pocket. “Ah” he said, eyes on her face. “Well, since you’re gonna wipe my mind, you might as well answer my questions – Who are you?”

River sighed, this was the bit that got boring after doing it a few times. This was the third time she had to explain herself to this face alone. “Your wife”

He looked like he considered that for a moment, before he said “Why should I believe you?”

“Because I know. I know what you’ve been through, I know what you’ve lost.. I know about the time war” He avoided her eyes as she stepped closer. “It’s recent for you, I know that too”

“That doesn’t mean I can trust you – You could be here to kill me” River smirked a bit, he had no idea how ironic him saying that was.