31(G)

I will see you again

                Kate_foreverfan

They had almost got away. She should have learned by now that almost is not always good enough.

Together the Ponds were unbreakable, invincible. Every child thinks that way of their mum and dad. Even if that child is much older than both of her parents. River had an utmost faith in Amy's strength and Rory's bravery. So their actions were shocking and soul-shattering on one hand, but on the other hand River understood this. The Doctor's wail of her mother's name sliced through her as the hot laser beam River was fond of using for a weapon. As they were falling, falling, she couldn't take her eyes off of them. To River it seemed as if it took forever before the bright light and the barely distinguished sound of ripping reality finally broke through the haze she has been in.

The Doctor screamed an explanation, but she has felt the jolt inside of her that her father had guessed right. The paradox had worked. Her mum and dad were safe. As River closed her eyes the relief she experienced was indescribable. The next time she opened her eyes River and the Doctor were in the TARDIS. The woman flew out of the booth long before her husband and found that they have landed in the cemetery.

River Song knew where to run to find her mother. She has always known. She saw them getting up not that far from the Doctor's ship, unharmed and smiling. River fell on her knees with a thud, throwing her arms around them. Feeling overwhelmed as both Amy and Rory simultaneously pulled her in, closing the embrace.

Amy tightened one of her arms around her daughter and another around her newly saved husband. By the way River was clinging to them Rory understood that his daughter had been and still was beyond terrified despite all her years of traveling through stars, dimensions and time itself.

“We're okay, Mel.” Rory whispered gently in her hair. River reveled in his and Amy's hold along with her mother's ever present encouraging giggles.

They got up soon after that just to find themselves in the Doctor's embrace. River stood aside but she discovered that both of her parents were looking at her fiercely with love pouring out every second the gaze was held. It was as if her father had suspected that it was not the end and her mother picked up on his vexation.

The Doctor bounded forth to hisbeloved TARDIS as River and Amy were walking slowly up to it, too. Rory was behind them, looking around and wondering how they have managed to land in a bloody graveyard.

“Melody.” Amy's low tone with a hint of deep sadness caught River by surprise. “I love you.” It was hard not lean into her mother's hand on her cheek, warm in spite of the chilly weather. “And I'm sorry.” Amy whispered, now bringing River into another tight but equally warm hug. “Melody, I'm sorry that he loves me more than he should.” Amy urgently kissed River's temple.

“Oh, mummy.” River retreated from the hold a bit to look her mother in the eye. “He does.” She then shook her head at Amy's crestfallen face. Though it has still stung to hear her husband call in such a way after her mother, River knew and hoped. “It's still only the beginning.” They smiled at each other and then felt Rory's hands on theirs waist and shoulder.

“Ready to go, girls?” His grin was infectious.