100(G)

a voice like velvet through the night sky

                    writtenndust

The Doctor made his way slowly down the stairs. He made a point to keep as silent as he could, taking each step with a carefully measured grace he didn't normally possess; but the moment was worth it. It was worth keeping all of his limbs in check at once; worth the halting of his over-active mind; Worth the patience needed to reign in the over-whelming urge to startle her.

River's hair was splayed out across the dull orange hue of the Tardis floor. The flecked golden blonde of her wild tresses, pointing out in all directions like a hap-hazard halo. He smirked, knowing she'd be the last to consider her hair even close to resembling any sign of divinity; though he was glad she wasn't required to agree.

He tiptoed closer to her; freezing on the spot and wincing when she moved just the slightest bit. Her nightgown was spread out around her, coating the floor around her in a sea of champagne silk and chiffon. If he was honest with himself, he could say that it looked almost like a half a wedding dress - or at the very least; what went underneath a half a wedding dress.

But half the time he wasn't honest with himself, for fear it might lead to an inopportune spoiler of his own future. So staring at her very feminine night-wear, accented by the steam-punk, brown leather boots; he ignored any and all inferences his over-active mind tried to make.

"Do you honestly think I've got no idea that you're there, sweetie?"

The Doctor pressed his eyes closed tightly, biting his lip in annoyance.

He'd been trying, ever since the Pandorica, to find a way to surprise her. But nothing he did, nothing he said ever surprised her. Surely, on occasion, he had hatched a plan that totally and utterly impressed her. But surprise? Never. She saw his brilliance coming a mile away. She simply sat back and waited for it to hit the others. Sometimes that was exciting; knowing that in their merry band of backwards lovers, there was always someone that believed he'd save the day. The rest of the time it was just plain infuriating.

"What are you doing?" He abandoned all pretence of being stealthy.

She looked down her nose at him; pointing her toes in his direction with a smirk, as she stretched her arms out wider to her sides.

"Just spending time with her. She's restless."

The Doctor looked up into the ceiling above them, smiling wistfully at the grandeur of his precious Tardis. Which only seemed to glow brighter, when River was on board.

He wasn't quite ready to hear the reasons for that, just yet.

He looked back down to River, her head pointing toward the door, her feet toward him and her arms, stretched out toward two of the bathrooms. Though he was sure, in the week since she'd arrived; one of the bathrooms had moved adjacent to the swimming pool.

"Aren't you going to get a cold down there?"

River looked up at him again with that timeless look on her face. The one that made him think that maybe, maybe, she could be what Amy thought she was. She did seem to know everything there was to know about him. Even to the point where she knew everything he knew about himself. And that was saying something very particular, indeed.

"No, she's keeping me warm."

His eyes lit up and immediately he scampered the rest of the distance over to her. He dropped down onto the floor and spread out beside her in a similar position. "She can do that?"

River grinned, pulling her left arm in so that he could lay right beside her. He decided not to question what anything meant right at that moment. Letting be, what was; was far more interesting for him. "Yep. Can't you feel it?"