156(G)

He'd protest that it should be the other way around; but really, she was right. So he kissed the tip of her nose, sliding his hands over the curve of her waist to pull her closer until he could murmur into her ear.

“So no need to worry, then?”

“None.”

“You look beautiful, if I may say so?”

She gave a delighted little peal of laughter, fluttered her eyelashes girlishly. “You may. And thank you, sweetie.”

“And you think I look-“ he preened “hot?”

River sighed, ducking her head down to hide her smile.

“You always do,” she admitted softly.

“But… you’re sure it wouldn’t be better with a hat?”

“No, Doctor, it wouldn't. Every year you try to wear the hat; and every year you lose it in the shrubbery, or the King tries to steal it...

“So,” she shrugged, “I'm forestalling the inevitable, sweetie. No hat this time. Anyway, don't you have more important things to attend to?”

He did; so he only sighed, casting a last regretful glance at the hat before rummaging into the corner of the wardrobe to pull out his old recorder and a battered violin case. And then –recorder in his pocket, violin tucked under his left arm, River's hand placed lightly on the crook of his right- they strode out the TARDIS to attend their favourite party of the year.

_____

“I think,” River murmured a few minutes later, her fingers straying to the blaster he knew she’d hidden in a thigh holster, “there's someone watching us. Just there in the trees… I think I saw something move.”

“No need to shoot,” the Doctor scolded, reaching over to squeeze her hand. “He’s an invited guest.”

“We’ve never invited anyone to this before.”

“First time for everything!” The Doctor sounded rather deliberately cheerful; and River narrowed her eyes.

“Well,” she muttered flatly, “he’s exhibiting strange behavior for a guest. I’d say he’s hiding. Does he know he's invited?”

“Just cautious,” the Doctor said blithely. “He always thinks he can fool people with his serious face…” He looked away, beckoning to the man hiding in the shadows. “Cammy! Ready for a party?”

“Doctor,” the man said curtly, stepping into the light, “I've asked you not to call me that.”

“Oh, you know you don't mind! What are friends for?”

“To give each other irritating nicknames, apparently,” River cut in smoothly, extending one hand out in greeting.

“Doctor River Song. Charmed to meet you... Cammy?”

“Charles-Camille. Camille, if you don't mind?”

“Not at all.” Her smile was pleasant, gracious; and Camille nodded, pressing River's fingers gently with his own before turning back to the Doctor.

“Quite a cryptic message you sent me,” he said dryly. “Come meet you for the party of the year and a sight I won't forget?”

“You wouldn’t believe that amount of times he uses that line,” River whispered confidentially. “He's occasionally right-“

“Often!” The Doctor gave her an injured look.

“Occasionally,” River continued, ignoring him. “But this happens to be one of those times.”