Fellenshine: Discovery (Angst/Fluff)

In which Sans finds out about Fallenshine's dark past.

~~~

A sort of backstory for the couple.

~~~

It was brutal. 

The war had been raging for four years now, and the burning of all of their terrirories had left all three powers struggling. Their armies were gone, the weakest of the powers dead due to the burns she had suffered through. 

In her anger, the first power had killed the Tacs who had come to burn her, and the youngest warriors of the second wave were sent to the second power again, for the first power, thinking that her enemy had sent the assassins to kill her. They held in their paws a message declaring war and a two-pronged sword, meant to tell the second power to fight the first herself. 

So there they were. Locked in battle, the deadliest one yet, killing most of their armies. Both powers had ordered the remnants of their soldiers to retreat, knowing that they wouldn't stand a chance against them. Fire met crystal, wrecking the landscape. The palace had a perfect view of the battle, and inside were toms who were fighting for the rights to the throne, for the rights to mate the winner of the war and to become the king. 

And then a powerful wave of energy shook the land. 

The day was later known as the Exile of Blank Canvas.

~~~

Sans awoke to heavy panting from the other side of the bed. His mate was no longer in his grasp. Rather,  she was on the ground, tears streaming from her deep blue eyes and breath coming in heavy, ragged pants. 

Blue eyes? Didn't Fallenshine have purple eyes? 

Sans watched for a minute as his mate began to hyperventilate, stepping in when he realized what was happening. Kitstorm had told him all about her sister's 'episodes', the times where she would lapse into insanity, the times where she was closer to her alternate selves than to her true self. 

Sans crawled out of the bed, careful to not scare his mate. Slowly, he wrapped his skeletal arms around Fallen and began cooing to her, holding her tightly as she eased out of the dark mindset. She seemed confused and afraid. She didn't seem to know where or who she was. Who he was. 

So Sans reminded her. He said it quietly, so as not to spook his cat-like mate, and reminded her that she was alright, she wasn't in exile anymore, she was safe. She was Fallenshine, he was her mate. The quiet words seemed to calm her, and within minutes she was tucked safely in Sans' arms, hiccuping every so often. 

"shh, shh, baby, it's okay," he whispered, his deep baritone voice even deeper with sleep. "you're not there anymore, just rest." 

"I-IIII--" 

"no, babygirl, it's okay. You're safe." 

Sans carried Fallen up onto the bed, carefully wrapping her in the blankets that had fallen off the bed with her. She curled into his side, seeking the warmth of his SOUL. The  SOUL responded desperately, wishing to heal, to comfort. 

"I never have shown you my SOUL, have I?" 

Sans stared at her in shock. Even though they were mates, Fallen had been careful to hide her soul from him, seemingly scared Sans wouldn't want 'Someone as damaged as me'. 

Now was the first time he had ever seen it. As she pulled it out, he noted how the SOUL was upright, like a human's. Then he saw the vibrant shade of pink it was, the same colour as her natural magic. 

Then Sans noticed the crack running down the middle, almost splitting the SOUL in two. 

"It's from the Void," Fallen explained quietly, as the little SOUL nuzzled up to Sans' chest in search of his own. "Maria did some research saying that the longer one spends in the Void, the worse their condition gets. That's why I don't teleport anymore." 

Sans pulled off his shirt and tugged out his SOUL with a bit of blue magic, pulling it out of his ribcage. It was a dull white with a red glow, and littered with scars from all of his brother's abuse. Fallen's little pink SOUL began patching up some of the worse cuts, spreading a pink film over them. 

Sans looked at the SOULS, hard at work healing each other. He glanced up at his mate, who was yawning again. 

"just rest, little kitten," Sans whispered, pulling Fallen into his arms as the two SOULs worked to repair each other. "rest..."

~~~

In the Legend of Blank Canvas, not everything was mentioned. Princess Blacklight, the third power and the weakest of the three due to not being an akiena, was not deemed significant enough to be in the legend, and not many Tacs knew about her. Everything mentioned in this account of the tale was directly from Fallenshine/BC's point of view. These details only appear in the version of the legend that Fallenshine later wrote as an account of her experience. This version mentions the palace fight, the fires, and the death of Princess Blacklight.