Chapter 2

“Oh man, no matter how I think about it, I'm still not ready to see my scores on any of the three tests yesterday,” Xavier whined while slumping in his chair.

“Yeah,” Asher agreed. “I can't believe we already had more than five long tests this week, not to mention the other examinations from the past two weeks. Heck, it's not even a full month yet.”

“That's only to be expected,” Kaizer argued, looking up from his food. “This is E.U. after all.”

Apparently, Rhainier heard the ongoing conversation between his classmates occupying the table next to his for he turned around to face them. “Even so, most of us were still unprepared to study for so many subjects all at once. I doubt that someone would even be able to get a high mark with the number of sleepless nights we've been having.”

“We'll find out sooner or later,” Ace— who was sitting with Rhainier— couldn't help but join the conversation. “The results will be given to us next week since there are no classes tomorrow.”

Axelia sighed as she shook her head with disbelief upon hearing the exchange of words of her classmates. They were currently having their lunch break at the cafeteria. Although the place was more than big enough for the class to choose different tables and be separated from one another, most of them still chose to sit with each other in groups.

Everyone, except for her.

She continued eating her food in silence when Razael suddenly spoke up, “The test wasn't even that hard.”

She raised her head to look at the boy occupying the seat across from her. He had his signature smirk on his lips and he still wasn't wearing his uniform properly despite the days that had already gone by.

“I guess you can say that,” she responded before finishing her food.

“Would you look at that,” Razael said in a tone lacing with amusement. “You're actually responding to my statements now, instead of ignoring me as usual.”

She looked at him with a bored expression before replying, “I guess it can't be helped.”

His expression morphed with genuine interest as his smirk turned into a beaming grin. “See? I told you it wouldn't hurt to have a friend.”

Looking down, she sighed once again before muttering, “If you say so.”

Looking back, she couldn't really understand his reason for staying by her side up until now. It was quite evident that she expressed no intentions of having any friends since the first day they met. However, Razael must have taken their encounter lightly for the latter clearly showed no sign of leaving her be.

She couldn't think of anyone else to blame for such an unfortunate fate other than the headmaster himself. If he hadn't asked her to fetch the boy, then she wouldn't have to deal with his presence any longer than she could tolerate. But at the same time, if she hadn't interfered with the disturbance then things would have certainly gotten out of hand.

“Is something the matter, Headmaster Veldr?” she asked as soon as she had acquired enough distance from Killian.

“Yes, Axelia— I mean Ms. Lumierre,” the voice on the other line responded. “I know this isn't an appropriate time to call a student but as far as I know, the rest of the campus' staff are already busy with their classes, and you're the last person who came to my mind.”

“Please get straight to the point, Headmaster.”

“I called to ask you a favor,” he answered immediately.