18 - THE DAUGHTER

(Songs: Sleep On The Floor - The Lumineers and Sapper's Tree - Hans Zimmer)

"You Skywalkers can never catch a break, can you?"

"Most of the time I don't want to be one."

He shakes his head at her response, taking it as a joke. But it wasn't. It was one of the last things she told her father.

"Watch for traps."

Mae and Caleb landed in the Endor forest. Lightsabers rested on their belts. They took off their jackets because it was so hot. They started walking through the empty woods.

"I swear, I've been here before. I've seen this place in a dream."

"What happened in the dream?"

"Nothing really. I just ran around in the forest chasing my dead grandma, then I fell through a hole in the ground and met my absent force ghost grandpa for the first time." She breathes out and gives Caleb a thumbs up.

His eyebrows furrow together. "Then how did you actually meet him?"

"I don't know how my "thing" worked, it just did."

"Had you ever seen your grandmother before, like in a Holocron?"

"No, I didn't even know it was her at the time."

"Hmm." Mae can see the wheels turning in his head. "What happened after you talked to Master Skywalker?"

"Short story, I tripped over Darth Vader's mask. He told me to be careful. Then I woke up and almost died falling off the roof of the temple. Dad caught me."

"Darth Vader? He um didn't he kill your-." Caleb shut himself up. "Your dreams are very strange." He looked deep in thought.

"Tell me what you're thinking about right now?" Mae asked.

"I-I can't help but wonder if this mystery person has always been in your dreams from the start."

"You're suggesting my grandfather is not actually my grandfather." Mae thought about her last conversation with Luke. "No. I can't believe that. I've had other dreams where nothing happened. I've had dreams where he just told me stories, it was personal."

"I shouldn't have suggested that sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. My dad said that once. I didn't take it well then either."

They walk in silence as Mae thinks about what Caleb said. Could it be true?

"Vader's mask huh? I've heard stories of Vader. Ezra told me about the time Vader took on him and his Master Kanan. I heard a story about how once he was able to lift a sea! A god damn sea! Still Master Luke was able to take him down. Do you know, did he do it to avenge Anakin?"

"No. Jedi don't get revenge. He did it for his friends." She said simply. Now was not the time to tell Caleb the truth about his role model.

"Do you have a story about Anakin that you could tell me?"

"A little obsessed?" She laughs.

"When I was a boy I watched a Holocron of him going through basic lightsaber forms. I guess you could say he taught me a little."

Mae smiled. Dad would've liked Caleb. "I think my favourite story is when Anakin was first assigned Ahsoka as a Padawan."

"Did he choose her?"

"No. Master Yoda shipped her off to him in the middle of a battle even though he never requested a padawan."

"Did they become friends right away?"