2 - THE NEW JEDI ORDER

(Songs: Nate Growing Up - Labrinth)

8 years later...

Their lightsabers crashed, green and blue sparks of energy admitted from the impact. They push back with force, both trying to gain leverage. They break and standstill, a gap between them. Tensions high. She kicks up some dirt in his face and ducks behind a tree. He wipes the dust off his face and stands in the opening of the forest, waiting and ready.

It was lightsaber practice day in the large forest outside the Jedi temple. Mae's least favourite day of the week, Ben's favourite. Mae was hiding behind a tree and slowly stepped out behind Ben trying to sneak upon him.

A twig snaps below her.
Crap.

He turns and they crash again, Ben's blue sabre overpowers his cousin's green. Pushing her down. "Yield," He says. "Screw you," She replies with a grin on her face. She deactivates her lightsaber and slides through his legs and makes a run for it to create space. She turns to face her opponent again. She's laughing as their lightsabers clash again. "Better get a crossguard on that before I take your hand off!" She blocks and dodges a few strikes, but before she can even go on the offensive and strike, her lightsaber is ripped from her hands and Ben's lightsaber is directly pointing to her face. She falls to her butt. She lost, again.

"Argh! I don't get it." She huffs. "You always win."

"Maybe next time, little cousin." He hands back her lightsaber. A little cocky smile is on his face as he looks down at her. I'm not little, you're just a giant, she thinks to herself while she jumps to her feet.

"Whatever, you always win. I don't know why I even try at this point." She grabs back her sabre and places it in the holder she made for it on her back. She dusts off her dark blue robes. Ben puts his lightsaber back on his belt as well.

"Maybe someday you'll beat me. Probably not, but there's always hope."

Mae glares up at him. "Swinging a lightsaber around doesn't make you a good Jedi."

"It makes you a Jedi though." Ben pushes Mae a little out of fun. "You're just jealous."

Mae laughs, "Of you?" Mae gives him a jab with her elbow in his gut for good measure. "Never."

"Ouch." His voice laced with sarcasm.

Grandmaster Luke walked up to them and put his hand on their shoulders. He had been watching them practise. Master Luke had taken on Mae and Ben as his learners. At the new temple, students would learn from all the temple teachers, each master took on a few 'padawan' learners to guide them more personally.  Although both Mae and Ben were emotional and unpredictable, Mae was much more troubled at the school than Ben ever was. Ben was eager to please and constantly pushed himself. He wanted to prove himself, he wanted to be a bigger part of it all. Mae on the other hand, being a rebellious teenager she was liked to challenge everything. She wasn't motivated to be a Jedi like Ben. Put them together and you get a storm of emotions, bickering and a real mess. Luke didn't have one easy day with these kids.

"It's not about winning, Jedi Reeves. Keep practising. It sometimes takes more time. And Jedi Solo your strength and skill are impressive. As always." He smiles, but his voice is not filled with enthusiasm, it's bitter.

"Do I need to work on my stances? Or maybe next time a double sabre technique? I'm ready for more." Ben asks attentively.

"Try-hard." Mae scoffs. Luke gives Mae the look then turns back to Ben.

"No Ben, that with come in time. Mae was correct, there is more to being a Jedi than lightsabers. You should take some time to meditate and reflect. Hone other skills." Luke tells him kindly.