17 - HERO OF LOTHAL

(Music box song: Stand By Me - Ben E. King)

Mae and Caleb had been travelling for a whole day in silence and only a few words between them. They were bored and tension grew between them. Mae just didn't know where to start. "Hey Caleb, thanks for letting me cry on you after completely ignoring you for a whole week, then trying to leave without saying thank you or goodbye, and then for tieing my shoelaces and deserting the Resistance with me." She knew she had to break the ice somehow.

"It never gets old for me," Mae says as they look out the window at the blue tunnel of light. They were now travelling through hyperspace. "It's beautiful."

"Me either."

They sit in silence again. Mae sighed, that didn't work. Caleb stands up from the co-pilot chair to look around. His eyes rest on a shelf with a little box on it. He picks it up and admires the outside of it. He opens it and realizes what it is – a music box. He winds it up and the song that played on it was as beautiful as the box itself.

"This song, I remember it from when I was young." Mae's eyes followed the sound and she turned her chair around. "I've never seen that music box before."

"Maybe she was going to give it to you for your birthday." Caleb shrugs.

"I think she forgot about it." Mae teases.

"I don't think anyone could forget something like this. It's special." Caleb looks at her intently. He winds up the box again and sets it down on the shelf.

Mae gets an idea. She stands up and walks toward Caleb moving her body slowly to the song. It hurt a little but it was worth it. He looked at her and he couldn't help but smile. She grabs his hands and pulls him towards the small open space.

"Come on, dance with me. We have time to kill."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can. It's just like using the Force. Just let the music move you."

He was stiff, and she was determined to get him to relax. "You know, I used to go dancing every night. It's one of my favourite things to do." She starts to sway to the music more and pulls his arms to make him move his body more. He slowly gets his rhyme and pulls her towards him with one arm, avoiding the scar on her side, and holding her other hand. She reaches an arm around his neck. She giggles as he spins her. This was the most fun she'd had in weeks. It felt natural to dance, to dance with him too.

The music goes silent and they stop swaying, but they stay there.

"You know I just left to get us some food and ask Leia when your mother would be back, but when I came back you weren't there. Only a note." The fun never seemed to last.

"I'm sorry." Mae looks down at the floor and tries to distance herself.

"Please, please don't push me away." He says very quickly and his hands hold her tightly. He looks up away from her, uncomfortable by his emotional outburst. Mae looks back at his face.

"I used to be scared of you, of your eyes." With a surge of confidence, she touches his cheek and moves it to face her. Their eyes lock for a few seconds."You are a good person. I just can't put anyone else in danger because of who I am."

She releases him, pats him on the chest and walks back to the pilot's seat facing the blue light.

"Who are you?" He stands there, waiting.

She takes a deep breath. Without looking back she answers. "I am the daughter of Luke Skywalker."

The ship goes silent and Mae continues, "It's been kept a secret since my entire life. The only people in the whole galaxy that know besides my parents are Leia, Han, Ahsoka, and Ben Solo. He doesn't go by Ben anymore. It's Kylo Ren now."