8 - GROWING PAINS

(Song: Papaoutai - Stromae)

2 and a half years later...

It had been 2 years since Mae had left the Jedi temple. 2 years since a Jedi was seduced by the dark side and destroyed the temple. All the Jedi were gone. And 2 years since Mae saw her father or even felt his presence in the force.

On Naboo, one could find Mae in a few places. Firstly, was her home. Not wanting to risk the new galactic terrorists, The First Order, finding them Mae, Mara and Ahsoka moved into the countryside to hide. The second place you'd find Mae was the waterfalls. She would meditate, swim and read there. She loved to read. She would read the diaries of old Jedi that she "borrowed" from the Jedi temple before she left and also the speeches of Republic and Rebel leaders like Senator Padmé Amidala, Mon Mothma, Leia and Bail Organa. They were inspiring. Mae couldn't imagine what it felt like to make such important speeches that so many people counted on and believed in. The third place was the local cantina. It was her little secret, but she loved dancing. Mae was now 19, she was a young woman. She would leave her sabre at home, ditch the robes, meet up with friends and flirt with anyone she found attractive. When she danced she felt free. She didn't have to think about stupid rules, guilt, even the future.  She could just be Mae. Mae was only human after all and Mara told her, 'It's only human to make mistakes and to learn from them.'

For 2 years Ahsoka trained Mae. She completed the training she would've got from the temple quite quickly, then Ahsoka pushed her further. She became a cunning fighter, but it was not only her lightsaber skills improved, it was her connection with the force. In combat, Mae was an adapting dualist. She relied on her adaptability, agility and force abilities more than anything in a fight. Mae grew into a strong woman before Ahsoka and Mara's eyes so quickly, Ahsoka had a hard time keeping up. She was fearless. Ahsoka was so proud yet nervous at the same time. What if she messed up somewhere in her teachings? She thought Mae had the potential to move mountains. Mae had nothing holding her back, but would Mae have the strength to stay in the light? Mae shared this worry, she was too smart not to.

Ahsoka, Mara and Mae lived safely in secret until The First Order became present on Naboo. The Order was ruled with an iron fist. Supreme leader Snoke commanded planets to fall to their knees with threats of war and mass murder. It was no Empire, there was no order and diplomacy. Stormtroopers ravaged helpless villages and killed innocent people. Kylo Ren and his Knights, burnt out any spark of rebellion.

Ex-Chief of State of the New Republic, now Resistance General Leia Organa pulled together whoever she could to start the Resistance against The First Order. A war had started again, and she would fight again. Mae, Ahsoka and Mara realizing they had no choice, heeded the call to action and joined the rebellion. Ahsoka didn't want it, but Mae's training would have to be done in war, like her own.

Mae went by Mae Reeves, in the Resistance. They kept her identity a secret once again because they didn't want word to get out that a secret Skywalker child was a leader in the Resistance. It would be dangerous for herself and everyone. No one could know that she was anything more than a regular Force user. General Ahsoka Tano's new apprentice trained secretly, avoiding the other resistance fighters and only helping out with what she was needed.

Leia didn't talk to Mae about Ben, and how he became Kylo Ren. It was a conversation left unsaid. But they knew, the fight was going to be unavoidable. Mae had to be ready for it. They all had to be.