13 - DUEL OF BLOOD

(Songs: bury a friend - Billie Eilish)

The hall felt hot and cold. It's uncomfortable. It's unsettling. The hairs on the back of Mae's neck stand straight up.

"I felt you here. Your presence. It's different than before. You're colder."  His voice was low, vibration through the mask. Mae didn't say a thing. She couldn't form the words in her mouth. Kylo stepped forward. "Surrender and the Supreme Leader will spare your life."

Mae couldn't help but feel sadness and pity for Ben. Even though no one told her directly, and she didn't want to believe it herself, she always knew it was him.

"Hello, Ben." She whispers. His head tilts.

"That's not my name." He snaps.

Mae's voice returns to her and she points to his face, the mask."That is not you. Kylo is not your name."

"I think it suits me." He growls. Mae pulls back her arm like he just tried to bite it.

"I don't understand why you are doing this. Come b-"

"Where is he?" Kylo cut her off.

Mae glared. "Who?"

"Skywalker."

Mae looked at him, confused. "You didn't- You can't find him either." Mae was almost relieved.

"He deserted you, Mae, just like how he deserted everyone. Tell me where he is."

Mae took a step back as she shook her head side to side.

Kylo clicked his tongue. "Hm. Did she send you here on this mission? No, she wouldn't. You're their precious little secret, never doing anything wrong. She would hide you. Unless they're becoming... hopeless."

Mae's eyes turned cold. "Stop. I know what you're trying to do." He was conflicted and manipulated and that's what he was trying to make her feel like too.

Kylo continued on his rant. "Do you feel like a disappointment? Like you failed? I thought it was convenient you left when you did. Did you already know what was going to happen?"

"I didn't know. I-I had to leave. I couldn't be there then, but I was going to come back."

"No, you weren't. You gave up trying to be a Jedi. Did you also realize the Jedi are weak? You were always so quick little cousin, you knew Skywalker lied. He was never going to let me reach my full potential,"  Kylo spit out from under the mask.

His anger rose at just the thought of Luke and the temple. He was a teenager that never felt like he belonged, so he grew up to burn it all down to feel its warmth.

Mae tried to stay calm, but it was getting harder and harder. "You would've reached your potential without the help of a Sith. The dark side has corrupted your mind, Ben."

"No! No! You still believe your old man? After everything? He's lied to us, You've always been a shadow, an escapist, a weak little girl that can't even take on your family name. You don't deserve it."

The body temperature in Mae started to go cold. She snapped.

"Take off the mask, Kylo Ren. I want to make sure you hear everything properly." She had never been so mad at anyone before. He lifts off the mask. His face looked older, there are bags under his eyes. Bags that match hers. She looked into his eyes, the visible light that had once been in his eyes was gone. He glares back. And the mask falls to the ground.

"You're merely a pawn in Snoke's game. You have been given a false illusion of power, and have been manipulated just as our grandfather was. Do you not remember what happened to him? It's called a tragedy for a reason." She hissed.