She left the tent in a storm of movement, all energy and fury and color. He found it incredibly beautiful, but decided not to dwell on that. He stretched out his long legs to follow her, wanting to wait until she had expended some of that energy before he confronted her.

It didn't work as planned. After thirty meters, she turned and pulled a fairly large gun and pointed it at his chest. He made a very quick stop.

The play of emotions on her face was priceless, and if she hadn't been armed he would have been very amused. As it was, his emotions were more nervous than anything else. Why did she have such an affinity with weapons? He supposed that with her sparkling personality, they came in handy.

“Not armed,” he told her quickly, flashing a forced smile. “Just dropping in for a visit.”

“What's wrong?” she asked urgently.

“Aside from the gun you're pointing at me?” he asked quickly.

She lifted the barrel, pointing it at the sky, but she didn't put the weapon away. “Aside from that... yes.”

“Nothing,” he admitted. “This was the easiest time to track to you to. A good deal of publicity around the dig. Your name hit the history books fairly hard.”

“Well, then... Hello Sweetie. You just came to what? Talk?”

“More or less,” he said, his mouth quirking into a grin. “Actually more,” he admitted.

“You know how dangerous this is,” she said, looking around surreptitiously. “Your future is my past. I might say something... You've always warned me against this.”

“I feel like breaking some rules,” he admitted. “Tell you what... we'll stay away from my personal future, and just talk about your past. The past without me, that is.”

“Why?”

He gave a shrug, and hoped he wasn't blushing so that she could see. Maybe she would blame it on the sunset. “Curiosity,” he admitted.

“Ground rules,” she said firmly.

“I won't ask about my future,” he agreed. “And you don't have to offer it.”

“If I don't answer anything, you have to let it go,” she requested. “I have my reasons, and I promise it's for both our sakes.”

“Walk with me in the sunset,” he offered. “I will try not to ask more than you can tell.”

She didn't answer, but she did nod. He smiled, and they turned together to walk away from the tents and out across the desert. The sky was darkening from indigo into black, and the stars were greater in number and brighter in appearance. The orange rings of the planet they were orbiting looked close enough to touch. The further they got from the camp, the brighter the sky seemed to be.