( CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - KILL YOU FIRST )

Charlotte woke up looking at her surroundings, seeing herself not in her usual location. It had been two weeks since the last time she saw Roman. Two weeks since she was at peace. But she couldn't be with him. Not at this moment. Not with what had been going on lately.

She reached over on the bed and picked up her phone to see another text from Roman:

If you wanna act like this, so be it. This is the last time you'll hear from me. Go back to Drew. I wish you would come back to me again.

She sighed as she felt herself get emotional. She didn't want to leave him. He was her only source of protection and love. But she ruined it, and the only way of keeping both of them getting hurt was for her to leave.

She heard the door open and saw Maryse's daughter, Monroe walk in, putting a smile on her face. "Hi, princess," she said picking her up onto the bed. "Where's mommy?" She asks. "Mommy," she hears from the door, "is going crazy because Monroe's daddy is still not here."

Maryse walks into the room to see Charlotte and her daughter in bed. "I swear, I'm going to kill Mike when I see him. But I'm gonna kill you first for coming to my house and not telling me why you're staying here."

Charlotte sighed as she gave Monroe back to her mother. "I told you, about Drew. I don't feel comfortable in my house," she said. "Oh, bullshit!" Maryse exclaims. "You know Becky tells me everything. I know that you moved in with Joe." Charlotte stayed quiet.

"And you never want to stay with me when something fucked up happens. You stay with Becky for days and barely tell me anything. So the times that you do tell me shit, you better be honest with me. What's your problem?"

Usually, when Maryse yelled at Charlotte, she would yell back, but she knew that Maryse was the only person in her life who could reason with her, the only person in her life who would tell her things the way in life.

"I was still sleeping with Joe and the day before we saw my parents, we had sex a lot. I didn't figure out that I missed my period for a month, so I secretly took like at least four tests," she pauses, "I'm pregnant, Maryse."

"OK," Maryse started, "what's so wrong with that? Didn't you want a child for the longest?" Charlotte shakes her head. "No. Drew wanted a kid for the longest. Joe never talks about kids, and I don't even know if I want to have kids. I mean, yeah I'm almost in my thirties, but I'm not ready to have a kid. And Joe is way too busy to take care of me and a child."

"Ash, you'll never know if you don't talk to him. You have to talk to him because you hiding from him isn't going to make him understand unless he's not the father?"

"Of course he's the father, dumbass." "Then talk to him. Cause right now," Maryse says, walking out the room, "you're the dumbass."