( CHAPTER EIGHT - DISTRACTED BY YOU )

"You didn't have to take me out."

Charlotte softly smiled. Roman pushed her chair in. "But I wanted to," he says sitting in the seat across from her. "Besides," he smiled, "I needed to get out of the office. Sick and tired of being in there."

She softly chuckled as she picked up the napkin and draped it over her lap. "I'm sorry, about what happened about the office." She says. "What happened at the office?" He raises an eyebrow, looking at her. She blushes at him before picking up the menu.

"What's good here? I don't do luxury restaurants," she says looking down at it. "Some of these words don't sound real." Roman chuckles. "This is my first time here. I don't know what I want."

Charlotte looks up at him. "Your office is three blocks from here and you never knew about this? Are you trying to impress Mr. Millionare?" She teases. Roman laughs. "I promise you. I'm more of an indie-restaurant type of guy."

Charlotte smiles as a waiter walks by them. "Welcome to Everest. I'm Julie, your host. Can I start the two of you with some drinks?" The waiter says. Charlotte looks at Roman, who was still looking down at the menu. "Yeah, we'll just take a bottle of champagne. Unless," he looks up at Charlotte, "you don't drink?"

She shakes her head. "I do. I'm fine with it." Roman nods. "OK, great," Julie says. "I'll be back and take your orders."

"Look," Charlotte gasps, pointing over to his menu, "garlic knots and mac and cheese." Roman raises an eyebrow at her. Her eyes were glowing, and her smile was too perfect to be real. Not a sex scene, Leat' i.

"Joe," he hears, snapping out of his trance. "You're doing that thing that I do when I get distracted by you," she says. He chuckles. "Garlic knots and mac and cheese? You sound like my niece," he smiles. "You have a niece? Or is that a secret code word for a daughter?" She teases. Roman shakes his head. "I promise I don't have a daughter."

Charlotte smiles. "Appetizers. Please?" She begs. "I'll pay." Roman chuckles. "No, you won't. We'll get what you want," he says taking her hand. She smiles. "Garlic knots and mac and cheese."

Roman kisses her hand. "Appetizers," he smiles. The waiter, Julie, comes back with the champagne in her hand. She pours the champagne in the wine cup. "Can I take any appetizers from you two?"

Charlotte looks at Roman who chuckles. "We'd like garlic knots and mac and cheese." Julie nods. "OK. I'll be back," she smiles at the two before walking away.

Charlotte sighs as she sips her champagne. "I feel like I've been embarrassing myself in front of you," she says. "What are you talking about?" He asks. "I mean, always staring at you, accidentally having sex with you and then my ex showing up out of nowhere."

"I know I shouldn't ask, but what happened between you two? You looked so scared by him," he says. She sighed. "It was toxic. His name's Andrew," she started, "and, I'm scared of him," she exhales.

"What'd he do?" She shakes her head. "He was verbally abusive. But he was all I had. He saved me from my family and I thought we were going to live happily ever after. I know, stupid," she dryly laughs. "No, it isn't. You had trust in him. It's not your fault."

Charlotte sighs. "He just changed out of nowhere, and he made it up to me by buying me clothes, paying my rent. I didn't realize that he was who he was until-" she sighs. "Hey," he says taking her hand again. "You don't have to explain yourself. You did what you had to do to leave."

"I just wish I'd left earlier, and Becky makes me believe for a fact that it isn't my fault and he's a total douchebag, but I needed him. And I don't know if I still need him now."

"Ash," Roman starts, "I'm not someone to judge. If I were you, I'd do the same. But you shouldn't blame yourself, alright. You did what you had to do. That doesn't lessen my opinion of you. I promise."

"You're just saying that," she says, wiping the small tear that fell from her eye. "You're already perfect."