Chapter 37 - Worrying About Weight

A/N - Things start to heat up between you and Splinter a bit...

Your POV

Thank goodness I managed to make it to work that night. After barely convincing Leo that I was okay, he walked me to the pizza shop and I apologized a million times to my boss, who didn't care that much. I honestly think he thought I switched shifts with someone without telling him, which helped my case so much.

I wasn't closing that night, but the clock was creeping to 9:20 pm. The guys were bound to be hungry by then, so I had the chefs in the back make a deluxe pizza pie for dinner. I watched them slide the pie out of the oven as I rearranged the tables. My mouth watered at the sight of the steaming delectible meal. The one that will make you fatter.

Shut up, I thought. I was entitled to enjoy my pizza. Not with that body, you're not. I betrayed myself and looked down at my stomach. Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn that I saw skin straining against my shirt.

I rested a hand on my stomach and continued to arrange the salt and pepper shakers on a table with my free hand. Maybe a salad is a better idea tonight...

"All done here, Y/N, I think you can go home," the main chef said. He boxed up the pizza and slid it over to the counter.

I bit my lip. "Actually, would you mind putting a small salad together for me real quick?"

A flash of annoyance appeared on his face for a split second, but he covered it before I could question the look. "Sure."

While he did that, I grabbed my jacket from the hook in the back and slipped my shoulder bag on. I was half excited to see Leo, half dreading being near the guys while they were eating the pizza. I wasn't sure if I could resist, let alone hide my secret.

Before I knew it, the plastic container with my salad was placed on top of the pizza box. "See you tomorrow, Y/N."

"Thanks!" I said as I hauled the food out the door.

I managed to push the door open with my foot and make it outside. Right when I made it to the curb, I heard a series of taps. The ones Leo made. I turned to the side, only to see him hanging upside down with his legs hooked on a nearby fire escape.

"Hey," he whispered. "What do you think? Upside down ninja turtle or what?"

I stifled a laugh and walked over with a small smile, unconsciously sucking in my stomach. "You'll never grow up, will you?"

He shook his head playfully. "Nope. Not as long as you're around." Leo pulled himself up and jumped down to me, taking the food from my hands. "Aw, thanks for getting dinner for us. I love you."

"I love you too." I held onto his arm as we disappeared into the shadows together and slipped into the open manhole he prepared for us. I kept my grip while we walked through the tunnels, hoping that his arm would cover the stretching skin on me.

He looked down at me just before we made it to the lair and stopped us. "Hey, are you okay?" One of his hands made it to my cheek.

I swallowed. "Yeah, just stressed, I guess. Um, how are things with, you know, her?" I couldn't even bring myself to say her name out loud.

"Oh, we sent Karai back home." What? "Donnie wiped her memory of the brother thing, so we're safe now. Don't worry about her." Leo pressed a long kiss to my forehead. "I'm just glad that you're safe."

His words warmed me, making me feel a little better. But you don't workout, you don't train, you don't do anything that she did for him to fall for her. I instantly froze at my thoughts and turned away, making my way into the lair without another word.

"Is that pizza I smell? It's gotta be pizza, right Y/N? Please let it be pizza!" Mikey practically skipped over to me and held my shoulders really tight. "You brought pizza, right!?"

I chuckled and nodded slowly. That was all it took for Mikey's face to light up like Christmas morning as he bounded past me and attacked Leo. "Pizza! Gimme gimme gimme!"

While they were distracted, I disappeared into the dojo with sweaty palms and a thumping heart. I knew I needed to be better about my weight, so it was time to do something I had been putting off for way too long. I needed to muster up every ounce of courage I had to go ask this question.

I gently knocked on the doorway of the dojo with a shaking hand. "Master Splinter?"

Splinter sat in the center of the dojo with his eyes shut, meditating. His ears perked up. "Y/N, welcome home."

Taking that as an invitation, I slipped inside and sat cross legged in front of him, like I had seen Leo do many times. "I, uh, I wanted to ask you something, if this is a good time?"

He slowly opened his eyes and studied me. While his expression looked calm, his stare felt like he was piercing through my soul, so much so that I shifted my gaze to my hands lying in my lap. "Is something troubling you?"

"Kind of, but I wanted to know," I started, "if you would train me?"

Splinter grunted and rose from the floor, turning so his back was facing me. No, no, no, wait!

I scrambled to the floor and fumbled with my hands in front of me. "Master Splinter, please. I really want to learn ninjitsu, and I really need the exercise." Hmm, what else? "And I want to go on missions with Leo and the guys!"

"Y/N, all of those are excuses," he said in a low voice. "A true ninja is ready to embark on a treacherous journey physically, mentally, and spiritually. The art of ninjitsu is not a simple concept that can be mastered in a day."

"But Master, I'm serious! I need to do this! I need to train with you to better myself and become a great ninja."

Splinter exhaled loud and slow. The sound made me shudder as the silence between us stretched longer and longer. "You are not ready. There is something else driving this request."

I stepped around him to face him in a panic. "Please, Splinter! You have no idea how much I-"

"Enough!" I jumped back at his earth-shattering volume. He folded his hands and looked down at me with disappointment. "You know I care for you, Y/N, but you are not genuine right now. I cannot entrust this art to you."

Damn it, don't cry! I blinked quickly to stop the tears from forming at all and hung my head so he couldn't see them. "I'm sorry for bothering you, Master." And with that, I stepped out of the dojo in defeat.

A/N - Please, please, please remember that you're all wonderful as you are!! Stay true to you always!