Chapter 6 - Visiting The Lair

Your POV

The sewers are so disgusting.

I mean, I was really trying for Leo. He managed to get me out of the apartment with something safe to do, but the smell was just insane down there. And he was nice enough to take me to his home to meet his family. So I bit my tongue and followed him through the millions of twists and turns underground.

"I promise, they'll like you," he said for the millionth time.

"I hope so. Thanks again for doing this."

He looked over at me and smiled. "Of course."

I‌ smiled back, remembering how cool this was going to be, I tripped on air. Just before I hit my head, Leo caught my hand and pulled me up.

"You okay?" He stopped moving and checked me for injuries.

"Leo, I'm fine,"‌ I‌ replied. "Thanks. I'm pretty clumsy."

Our hands stayed together longer than I thought they would. I found myself looking down at them, then up at his eyes, which were burning into mine.

Leo smiled sheepishly and took his hand out from mine, almost reluctantly. Was that blush on his face? "Come on, we're almost there."

I‌ dropped my hand and followed silently, not liking the cold air hitting my palm.

Finally, we reached the lair. It was in an abandoned subway station and looked more like a comfortable living area. I looked around in awe.

A turtle with a red mask sat on the couch, reading a magazine. When Leo and I jumped over the turnstiles, he looked up with a smirk. "So she's real."

"Raph!" Leo scolded.

I chuckled at their brotherly antics.

The turtle with the orange mask saw me, then turned around and opened a garage-like door to talk to someone inside. He and the turtle with the purple mask walked out and towards me.

Just like that, the four brothers were assembled.

"So, Y/N, these are my brothers. Raph, Mikey, and Donnie," Leo introduced.

Mikey waved happily and started doing a dance. "I love the new dudette! Do you like pizza?"

I laughed. "Yeah, of course!"

He looked so happy he could have exploded. "Guys! She likes pizza like me!"‌ His voice got so high pitched that Raph covered his ears.

"Dude! What did I tell you about the mouse voice!?"

Mikey grabbed my arm and dragged me through the lair. "Come on! We have lots of pizza here! And we can play video games together and watch Crognard the Barbarian and-"

"Mikey," Donnie started, coming up behind him, "we don't want to scare her off." He eyed Mikey's hand on my arm.

Mikey got the message and let me go. "Sorry, Y/N, I just got excited! Humans aren't usually allowed in the lair, except for April and Casey, and they got busy and never come over anymore."

I‌ looked over at Leo, who was facepalming and walking over to us. "Mikey, leave her alone. Let her look around."

The pitter-patter of footsteps alarmed me. Leo stiffened for a moment and stood firmly next to me.

"And who do we have here?" A giant rat-man wearing a maroon robe walked up to me.

Leo cleared his throat. "Sensei, this is Y/N. She's my friend."

The rat-man stroked his beard in thought as he looked me over. "You are not uncomfortable with our appearances?"

I shook my head. "No, sir."

He put one of his thin hands out. "I am Master Splinter. It is with great pleasure I welcome you to our home, if you are willing to keep our secret."

I shook his hand firmly. "Of course, sir, I promised Leo I wouldn't tell. No one else would understand, anyway."

After he withdrew his hand, he tilts his head to the side. "And why is that?"

"Well," I started, "the turtles have morals. They care for the safety of others. People above might just see monsters, but I see heroes."

Leo brightened at my response and looked away. The other turtles grinned at me, looking grateful.

Master Splinter bowed to me. "You are very kind. I am proud of Leonardo for your friendship." He nodded once before retreating to a room to the side of the lair.

Mikey ran up to me and gave me a bone-crushing hug. "Thanks, dudette! You're awesome!"

I returned the hug the best I could. "Aw, you're welcome, Mikey."

As I hugged him, I caught Leo's eye as he mouthed, thank you, and smiled proudly. 

A/N - Aww, it looks like Splinter approves! 

Get ready for the next one, it gets pretty cute!