Chapter 8 - Training Part 1

A/N - This chapter got so long that I broke it up into two! Enjoy the boys and their training!

Your POV

Leo texted me the next morning to bring workout clothes so I could see the guys train and maybe learn something myself. I‌ beamed when‌ I‌ saw the message and immediately rushed over to the drawers in my room, picking out a sports bra, tank top, and tight yoga pants. I slipped on my track sneakers and pulled my hair up into a high ponytail, then grabbed my phone and other essentials and dropped them into my shoulder bag.

My grandparents made it home earlier than usual, so just as I was making my way out the door, I‌ ran into them.

"Y/N? Where are you going?" My grandma looked me up and down, eyes narrowed.

I blinked, then took a deep breath. "Uh, just going for a workout."

She saw my yoga pants and sneakers, then nodded. "Okay. Just make sure you shower when you finish. We don't need any more stink in this place."‌ She gestured to my grandfather, who was about to fall asleep standing up next to her.

A laugh escaped my mouth, and I‌ facepalmed. "I‌ will, I promise."

My grandma moved to the side to let me out of the apartment. I slid past them and internally cheered. Thank goodness that worked out.

Because I still had no idea where the lair was in terms of the sewers, I walked into a small alleyway next to the apartment building that Leo told me about. A manhole cover was in the back of the alley. I sent him a text when I got there.

Me: I'm in the alleyway, ready to go! :)

Moments later, Leo moved the manhole cover to the side and stuck a hand out. It was daylight, so he didn't want to draw too much attention to himself. I chuckled as I‌ looked around me to make sure no one was watching. When the coast was clear, I dropped down into the sewers and Leo caught me before I hit the ground.

I looked up at him, unable to contain my smile. "Hi."

He showed off his dimple again. "Hi."

After a moment, Leo put me down and I‌ adjusted my shoulder bag.

"I'm ready to train!" I‌ exclaimed, pumping my fists in the air.

He chuckled and crossed his arms. "Not so fast, Y/N. You have to watch us first. We'll show you how it's done."

I followed him through the sewers until we got to the dojo in the lair.

Raph was already there, doing some push-ups with his sais. "Hi Y/N, check out the muscles!"

I shook my head as I dropped my bag off to the side of the room and stood next to Raph, watching as he transitioned to a one-armed push-up. "Show off," I scoffed with a smile.

"Oh, so you want to face off?" he asked, standing up and looking down at me with dominance.

I squared my shoulders and brought up my chin. "Sure. It's on."

As I was about to go down in a plank, Leo jumped to my side. "Guys, let's not do this now. We have to train first."

"Back off, Leo." Raph pushed Leo's arm. "It's just a friendly competition. And we are training. Let her do it."

Donnie, who was practicing techniques with his bo staff, stopped when he heard us and rushed over. "I'm moderating this. First person to twenty wins!"

Leo looked at me for a response.

"It's okay," I said, trying to be reassuring. "I can handle a few pushups."

Raph got down in a plank. "Twenty? Easy. Good luck catching up, girlie."

I‌ joined him and readied my arms, keeping my next quip to myself.

Leo stood to the side, watching me intently, while Donnie crouched down in front of us. "Three, two, one, go!"

I immediately brought my arms up and down as fast as I could, trying to keep my form. "...three, four, five..."

Raph wasn't even breaking a sweat as he lowered and pushed himself easily and quickly, in an almost graceful way. "...twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen..."

I panicked when I heard his counts. Fifteen!? Hurriedly, I‌ quickened my pace and started going faster.

"Raph's almost done," Donnie exclaimed.

Finally, Raph and I both did our twentieth push-ups together and fell to the floor. I struggled to catch my breath as I lay there, my heart racing.

"How in the - it was a tie!"

"What?" Raph looked at me with narrowed eyes. "No way that was a tie, I clearly won!"

Donnie shook his head. "I counted both of you, it was a tie."

Leo beamed and walked over to me, holding a hand out to help me up. I took it gratefully and righted myself, stretching out my arms.

"Looks like someone can get to your level after all, Raph," Leo commented, high-fiving me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Raph stand up and cross his arms in reluctance before stalking out of the dojo silently.

"Did he just-?" I was in shock. The great Raphael left because of me?

Master Splinter walked out of his room at that moment with his green staff and over to us. "Donatello, Leonardo, go find your brothers. We must start training."

Leo punched my arm playfully and dipped down to my ear. "Be back in a sec," he whispered before he left with‌ Donnie.

***

I sat on my knees next to Master Splinter and watched them train for an hour. There were complicated katas and weapon practices. But my favorite part was the one-to-one battles.

Raph still couldn't look at me as he was called to battle Donnie. Once he saw his opponent, his cocky smirk returned. "Oh, this will be easy."

Donnie was taken aback by the comment. "Hey!"

"Yamei! Raphael, we have had this conversation before. You do not judge the strength of your opponent before the battle. Hajime!"

I watched as Donnie twirled his bo staff in a million directions and dodged every single one of Raph's jumps. Raph spun his sais around his fingers and gripped them tightly before making a lunge towards him.

Leo and Mikey sat next to each other on the sidelines. I looked away from the fight for a moment and watched Leo instead as he analyzed every movement his brothers made in the battle. His fingers tapped against his knee pad in time with each strike, as if keeping count.

My eyes traveled up from his hands to his arms and the muscles moving slightly with each tap. He wasn't as buff as Raph, but he had a lot going for him in the right places.

Just as I realized I was staring, Leo glanced over at me. I looked away, embarrassed, then looked back in time to see him grin and wink at me.

Why are you doing this to me?

By the time I‌ was able to get ahold of myself and look back at the fight, it had already ended and the turtles were sitting back down on the sides.

"Leonardo, Michelangelo, go," Master Splinter commanded. 

A/N - To be continued...