Chapter 29

Song: Who are you by SVRCINA

Rachel lay on the cold, hard floor of the cell, her body aching with bruises. Each breath was a struggle, shallow and laboured. Trapped by the humans, she could only cling to a faint hope of rescue.

Suddenly, a subtle warmth began to blossom on her arm — a warmth that originated from the mark the Abaddon had branded into her flesh during their first encounter. What started as a slight tingle soon burgeoned into an insistent blaze, compelling her to grit her teeth and clutch at the burning skin.

As the pain intensified, the atmosphere inside the cell shifted. The air grew dense, almost tangible, as if responding to her agony. The walls seemed to pulse with a sinister, invisible heartbeat. A chilling mist materialised in the center of the cell, swirling around her as shadows began to coalesce into a formless, terrifying presence.

The creature in the cell opposite, previously a silent observer, now recoiled at the unfolding scene. It scurried to the furthest corner, pressing itself against the cold wall, its eyes wide and filled with primal fear.

From the midst of the swirling mist, the Abaddon emerged. Even in his incomplete form his presence was overpowering. He advanced toward Rachel, each step resonating with the authority and dominion of his power.

"Aphrodite," the Abaddon's voice rumbled deeply. "I feel your essence dwindling. Please, don't give up. You cannot let these humans be your end." His words, intended as reassurance, provided only a cold comfort. His shadowy hand reached out toward her, bringing a strange warmth as it hovered near her cheek, unable to truly touch her.

Rachel's voice was weak, wearied by her ordeal. "I've tried so hard, but they are strong. They are filled with so much hatred. I don't know how much longer I can last. I don't want to lose my memories again."

"It's not hatred, but envy," the Abaddon corrected, his form swirling with a visible agitation. "They resent the power they do not understand, cannot possess."

"Power? I have no power? My abilities won't work. They do everything they can to hurt me. I still don't know what they want from me."

He tsked. "No power? My power runs through your veins."

She laughed in defeat. "You act as if I know what I'm doing, what's happening. I've been lost since the moment I found out what I was. I make mistake after mistake, and I've caused others pain. I wasn't made for this world."

"You must fight them, Rachel. They are just humans," the Abaddon urged. To him, they were weak mortal beings, and she was more than that. However, they had stripped everything away from her, and she couldn't see a way out.

"I can't..." she whispered, tears of defeat streaming down her cheeks. "I can't."

The Abaddon's anger flared, his shadowy form growing darker. "You are the Aphrodite! These pests of humans cannot be allowed to make a shadow creature feel inferior. You are bonded to me, and one of your abilities, Aphrodite, is the merging of powers. You have my powers."

Rachel laughed bitterly, a sad, hollow sound. "Does that mean I can burn this place to the ground? I can barely move. I would probably burn with it."

"You underestimate your strength," he said, his tone softer but resolute. "Together, we can destroy them and claim our place in the world once more. You are capable of so much more than you realise. You just need to tap into your true potential."

Rachel closed her eyes, trying to summon the strength within her, but the pain and exhaustion clouded her mind. She didn't believe she had the power to face these humans, let channel the Abaddon's abilities. The idea seemed as far-fetched as escaping her cell.