Chapter 17

Song: Don't Sleep by Alex Pfeffer

So sorry that I've been a few weeks behind getting this update out

So sorry that I've been a few weeks behind getting this update out. Hope you enjoy :)

Rachel tiptoed from the bed, extra careful not to wake Vlad. The room was drowned in darkness, thanks to the thick red curtains that didn't let any hint of morning light peek through. It felt like the middle of the night and the break of dawn all at once, without the sun to tell her otherwise.

Quietly, she approached the door, surprised to find it unlocked. She nudged it open, cringing slightly at the soft creak that broke the silence. Casting a quick glance over her shoulder, she saw Vlad, still lost in slumber, undisturbed by the noise. Relieved, she slipped through the door, softly pulling it closed behind her, stepping into the unknown of Vlad's vast home.

Navigating the hallway was tricky, with every creak of the floorboards betraying her location. The paintings lining the walls, with their stern, watchful eyes, seemed to track her every move. Vlad's house was no ordinary place.

Coming to a fork, Rachel paused, weighing her options. Two staircases stretched before her, each leading in a different direction. Drawn to the staircase washed in faint daylight, she chose it, hoping it would lead her closer to the freedom of the outside world.

Descending the stairs, Rachel found herself in a new corridor, its walls punctuated by dark wooden doors. To her left, the glow of sunlight spilled from an open doorway.

Stepping into the sun-drenched room, Rachel felt the cool kiss of white and blue tiles beneath her bare feet. Light poured in from the grand, arched windows, illuminating the space with a soft glow. The kitchen and dining area before her was the epitome of elegance: white stone countertops gleamed, and the dining table, set with a striking arrangement of flowers.

Beyond the dining space, the kitchen unfolded in all its modern glory, spacious and outfitted with the kind of high-tech appliances she had only ever admired in the pages of home magazines. Her stomach chose that moment to remind her of its emptiness, prompting a hopeful glance around the kitchen as she considered the prospect of finding something to satisfy her hunger.

While exploring Vlad's kitchen, Rachel felt guilty, as if she were overstepping her bounds in this lavish, unfamiliar place. Finding the fridge filled with her favourite fruits—figs, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, and raspberries—she chose strawberries and raspberries, trying to shake off the feeling of intrusion. Her moment of delight was cut short when she bumped into a petite woman, dropping the fruit. "You scared me," she said, rushing to pick up the scattered berries.

"Oops, sorry. I thought you'd hear me coming. You seemed quite preoccupied," Estella said, her smile easing the tension.

Rachel managed a hesitant smile back and took the berries over to the sink to wash them, careful not to squish any. "Good morning to you as well."