Chapter 6

Song: All You Need by the Jezabels

On a troubled Monday, Rachel declared herself sick to avoid facing Lindon without her completed pitch. The recent meetings with Vlad and Lindon had left her creatively bankrupt, struggling for inspiration. She spent the morning attempting to cobble together a pitch on her laptop, but it felt like a pale imitation of her initial passion-driven effort.

That afternoon, Rachel was surprised by a message from Darius, whose number she hadn't saved. He suggested meeting at a nearby coffee shop. Despite the pressing need to avoid delays, especially with Lindon expecting the pitch, Rachel felt a break might clear her mind.

She powered down her laptop, swapping her black pajamas for a light blue pair of denim shorts and a black tank top, a choice suited for the summer's heat. Grabbing her bag, she stepped out.

The sun was scorching outside, making Rachel feel sticky with sweat. She ducked into the coffee shop, a welcome escape from the heat, finding it alive with chatter, mostly from university students. Darius had snagged a corner table in the busy space, already with two iced coffees waiting.

As Rachel approached, Darius greeted her with a smile, gesturing towards one of the iced coffees. "It's for you," he said.

Surprised, Rachel touched her chest, easing into her seat. "Why would you buy me coffee?"

"Who wouldn't want to buy a smart, beautiful woman like you a coffee?"

Rachel's brow furrowed. "But how did you know where I live? And, more importantly, how did you get my number?"

Darius clasped his hands together on the table, his demeanour calm. "I understand you have questions," he began, ready to unravel the mystery.

"That's a polite way to put it. You might seem like a nice vampire on the surface, but look at it from my angle. You found out where I live without me saying a word, and you bypassed my phone's security. How do you explain that?"

Darius met her gaze, his expression earnest. "I know it sounds bizarre, but you did tell me where you live. You even added my number to your phone."

Her response was a scoff, disbelief painting her features. "So, you're gaslighting me now?"

In response, Darius raised his hands in a gesture of surrender. "I'll admit, your memory might not serve you well on this. You were under my influence, not fully aware. You did those things; you just don't remember because you were so exhausted."

Rachel's suspicion didn't wane. "And Vlad showing up at my exhibition yesterday? Did you orchestrate that too?"

"Oh no, that was all Vlad. He's got connections." He nudged the iced coffee closer to her. "And don't worry, the coffee's just coffee."

With a resigned sigh, Rachel decided to take a chance, picking up the coffee and taking tentative sips. Darius mirrored her actions. The tension eased slightly as they both enjoyed their drinks in silence for a moment.

Rachel's curiosity then got the better of her. "I'm surprised to see you out and about in the afternoon. Doesn't sunlight hurt you?"

Darius chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Actually, that's a common misconception. Vampires aren't harmed by sunlight. It's more myth than reality."

"So, how does one become a creature of darkness or light, even though you are obviously the same?"

Darius regarded her with a solemn gaze. "It's a choice all beings must make, to either embrace the darkness or the light."

"You still feed off life, do you not? You still bleed your victims dry?"

His expression shifted to one of mild offense. "What a bold accusation. Those who give life to me do so of their own accord. I do not kill for essence. Life, in many aspects, is a two-way street. Vlad is a warrior and he has a dark past. He lives with the consequences of his choices and he lives now to serve, a penance for the darkness he has brought upon this world."

Aphroditeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें