Chapter 14

Song: Hardest of Hearts by Florence and the Machine

Rachel steered away from the supernatural chaos and the unresolved matters with Vlad, directing her steps towards the refuge of her workplace

Rachel steered away from the supernatural chaos and the unresolved matters with Vlad, directing her steps towards the refuge of her workplace. Craving the steadiness of her everyday routine, she aimed to distance herself from the turmoil that gnawed at her conscience. The notion that she might have been responsible for Myus's demise troubled her deeply. She had always seen herself as virtuous, and wrestling with the realisation that her essence might be corrupted proved challenging. Opting to temporarily shelve the bewildering experiences of her otherworldly encounters, she sought solace in the familiarity and structure of her human job.

As she entered the building, the automatic doors parted, welcoming her with the glow of the afternoon sun that filled the spacious lobby. Receptionists manned the sleek desk, busy with calls, as people bustled about, some heading out for lunch while others prepared for a workout. It was bizarre how mundane life continued after what she had experienced. Behind the routines, the supernatural world lingered, waging wars for dominance while humans sipped their coffee and exercised.

"Rachel!" Beth's voice cut through the air, her greeting enthusiastic as she stood and waved. Rachel slid her sunglasses off, placing them in her bag, and managed a small, comforting smile towards her friend. "Where have you been? Lindon's been looking for you. I've been trying to call you, but your phone..."

"It ran out of battery. Had to attend an offsite meeting," Rachel improvised.

"Oh. Well, that's a nice dress. Is it new?"

In reality, she had shelved the dress following an incident with a manager whose advances were far from welcome. The sleek, black pencil dress was indeed eye-catching, perhaps too much so in the past. But now, armed with her newfound abilities, Rachel felt a surge of confidence; anyone with ill intentions would swiftly learn their lesson.

"Just an old find from my closet," Rachel deflected.

Beth took off her headset, stepping around the counter with a look of concern. "What's been happening? Lindon mentioned he's been working on a new pitch for you, and then you come in late, which isn't like you at all."

Rachel shifted the focus. "I love your shoes," she complimented, admiring Beth's stylish pale pink heels. "Actually, your whole look today—those black pants with the pink turtleneck—really works for you."

However, Rachel's eyes drifted to a vein pulsing near Beth's neck, hidden just under the fabric of her turtleneck. A memory of Darius's blood flashed in her mind, her lips parting slightly as an involuntary hunger intensified. Her grip tightened as she fought the growing craving.

"What's going on with you?"

Rachel forced the dark thought away, reminding herself of the need for normalcy, for control over her darker impulses. "Since when can't I give a friend a compliment?"