Chapter 10

Song: Free by Broods

As Vlad navigated the car through the city, the streets stretched out before them, bathed in the soft glow of sporadic streetlights. The journey unfolded with an unusual calm, the late hour offering clear roads and a swift passage through the sleeping city. Their progress was swift, unimpeded by the usual congestion of daytime traffic.

Rachel watched the city blur past the windows, its quietude lending a surreal quality to their drive. She noted Vlad's careful handling of the car, a precision in his driving that seemed at odds with the reckless demeanour she'd come to associate with him. The careful manoeuvres, the attentive pauses at intersections, even when no other vehicles were in sight—it all painted a picture of someone far more considerate than the Vlad she thought she knew.

Interrupting their silent journey, Rachel ventured, "How did you come to have black essence?"

Vlad spared her a quick look. "I was curious when you'd broach that subject. I will be honest with you, because if you are going be bonded to be, you deserve that much. I've ended lives, both of creatures and humans alike."

Her voice wavered slightly, "And you would've killed me had it not been for the shield?"

"I would have done whatever it took to protect myself, as I'm sure you would do that same."

Pressing further, she asked, "Do you understand the concept of right and wrong?"

Vlad's expression darkened slightly, his eyebrows knitting together. "It's a matter of perspective."

Feeling her grip tighten, Rachel was astonished by his casual justification. "Excuse me? Since when are right and wrong a matter of opinion? You see nothing wrong with what happened tonight?"

He sighed, "Firstly, I did that to save us both. I am sorry for how it was done, but you were not listening to our warnings. But, Aphrodite, I have lived a long time. Right and wrong change all the time. Things I do now were perfectly acceptable for centuries. I'm not going to count a few decades of law as a standard."

"You don't feel guilt for all the lives you've taken?"

Vlad's stance was resolute. "Life is an everlasting battle. There are winners and there are losers. Unlike these humans, I refuse to feel loss. It is a pointless emotion."

"But why resort to killing in the first place?"

"Rachel, haven't you understood? The world is fraught with peril."

"So how does Daruis have white light, and you don't?"

"I have had to kill for essence, he has not. I have been weakened, and nearly forced into the underworld. I have taken much greater risks, and for that I paid the price. I never desired this path, but it's mine, irreversible now. Yet, understand this—humans pose a far greater danger to us than any creature."