Chapter 23

Song: Here by Christine and the Queens

Rachel stood alone before the massive ice walls of Inanis, the biting frost nipping at her exposed skin, causing her to shiver uncontrollably. The landscape before her was a haunting blend of beauty and menace. Behind the thick walls of ice, she could feel his malevolent presence, waiting for the right moment to break free.

As Rachel watched, the vast ice walls of Inanis began to show signs of vulnerability. Cracks spiderwebbed across the surface, undermining the fortress's once-impenetrable façade. Thin streams of water trickled down, tracing the contours of the ice.

The chilling voice of the Abaddon echoed through the icy expanse, its depth resonating with an unsettling familiarity. "Aphrodite, you've come to witness my liberation." His shadowy figure began to materialise in front of her, a sinister grin spread across his face.

Rachel's breath hitched, her heart pounding against her chest. "I don't understand," she whispered over the cracking sounds of the ice. She took a step back, her mind racing to comprehend the unfolding situation.

"Thanks to you, my time in this frozen prison is coming to an end."

Bewilderment clouded Rachel's expression as she took another step back. "What do you mean? I haven't done anything."

A hint of sorrow appeared on the Abaddon's features as he gently shook his head. "Ah, how sad it is that you do not remember. Our fates have been entwined for centuries, and it is your essence that will finally set me free."

The revelation that their destinies were entangled—that she unknowingly played a role in his fate—struck her with a wave of fear. "I don't understand. How could I be the one to release you?"

His shadowy form shifted closer as he grasped her hand, revealing blood on her fingertips. "The blood of Aphrodite will set me free. Your blood entered the waters of Inanis."

Rachel recoiled. "No, it's not possible," she whispered, taking another step back.

The Abaddon advanced slowly, his piercing gaze locked on her. "I see your past lives' memories have been concealed from you. If you desire the truth, I can help. I can restore the memories that were taken from you."

His offer hung in the air, tempting yet terrifying. Rachel stood at a crossroads, torn between the desire to understand her true nature and the fear of what that truth might reveal. As they faced each other, an intense burning sensation ignited on her arm. The mark there seemed to come alive, pulsating with fiery energy that coursed through her veins. She clutched her arm, wincing in pain.

The Abaddon's eyes narrowed, observing her discomfort with interest. "It seems the power within you is reacting to my presence The bond we have is growing stronger."

"I will find away to rid myself of this bond."

The Abaddon's voice darkened as he countered, "There is only one bond you should be trying to break, Aphrodite. If your bond with that vampire remains when I reach the realm of the living, I will send him to the underworld."