Chapter 26

Song: Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

Rachel clung to Vlad, her body trembling as she struggled to regain her composure. She found herself unable to confess everything to him—not yet, and perhaps never. For now, being back in his arms, where she felt safest, was all that mattered.

"Are you okay, Rachel?" Vlad asked, his voice full of worry as he looked into her eyes.

Considering everything, her body temporarily giving out seemed like a small problem. "I...I'm fine," she forced a weak smile and said, trying to reassure him. "I just need to be close to you, Vlad."

"What happened to you?" Vlad pressed, his forehead creased with concern. He looked utterly exhausted. "Something happened. Your heart stopped. Then, a stream of essence emerged from your arm. It lifted," he paused, his lips pressing together as he struggled to find the right words. "Essence also left my arm, and I couldn't control it. The streams joined, and then they shattered. When it happened, it felt like something inside of me was tearing apart. It felt like I had lost you." A single tear escaped his eye, which he wiped away.

She rested her head on his chest, comforted by the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. In that moment, she understood why he had been so guarded when they first met. She had introduced danger into his life, and now, their time together seemed perilously short.

She looked up at him, her fingers gently caressing his cheek. Was this what her creature did—tricked men into loving her for protection? Surely, she was better than that?

The mark on her arm throbbed with heat, the veins protruding like taut cords. The bond with Vlad had been severed. She hesitated to voice it, but the sensation was overwhelming—an emptiness that gnawed at her chest, a hollow void where once there had been a profound connection. She found no words adequate to describe the loss, no way to articulate the emptiness that now consumed her.

"I'm sorry," her voice cracked, the harsh reality sinking in.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Vlad reassured her, squeezing her hand. His palms were hot and clammy—a testament to his own nervousness.

Taking a deep breath, Rachel sat up and looked at Vlad, feeling her heart flutter despite the turmoil. It was hard to accept that their bond had been broken, especially when her feelings for him were as strong as ever. Yet, as she pondered their relationship, she realised the bond had been just one part of their connection. What truly drew her to him were the moments they shared—the way he laughed, the way he made her feel. The broken bond couldn't erase those memories or feelings. She still loved him, and she knew deep down that he was worth fighting for.

"I saw him, your king," she said, saddened as she recalled their conversation, his demands that she serve the Abaddon.

"What happened?"