Chapter 9

Song: Girls Your Age by Transviolet

Positioned on a frigid cliff, Aphrodite observed the chasm below, revealing the underworld's entrance

Positioned on a frigid cliff, Aphrodite observed the chasm below, revealing the underworld's entrance. This realm, marked by volcanic landscapes and strewn with rocks, was lit only by the sinister glow of magma rivers, highlighting the towering black gates guarded by lion-like figures, sculpted from the underworld's essence.

Suddenly, the gates burst open, their movement shaking the ground, releasing a sulphurous aroma and projecting shadows over the rugged ground.

The lions, with their deep red eyes, scanned the path, anticipating an arrival. A shadowy, almost human figure emerged from the gloom, advancing under the dim light of the distant lava flows.

At the threshold, the figure acknowledged the lions with a nod—a gesture met with their acquiescence. Allowed passage, the figure then locked eyes with her from afar. The intensity of his red gaze electrified the space between them, a tangible connection forged in that moment.

"Aphrodite," echoed his voice, deep and compelling, reverberating through the ethereal space. "Together, we shall navigate the shadows of Inanis."

In this dream, Rachel felt detached, as though she were a spectre observing a tale not her own, where the script and movements belonged to someone else.

"I heard rumours you were preparing to make the ascent to Inanis," she voiced, her eyes drawn to the daunting view below. Before him lay a treacherous path, with stairs that spiralled downwards, then transformed into a vertiginous cliff. Only beings of significant might could embark on such an odyssey, for to reach the gateway of Inanis was merely the beginning to an arduous journey back to the realm of the living.

Despite the vast distance between them, rendering him barely more than a speck in her vision, he extended his hand. "You possess the strength to halt this madness, to bring me back, so we may reunite. I will forgive you for what you have done, and we will rule, as we once did.

"Some acts are unforgivable," she declared. At her words, he exploded in rage, summoning whirlwinds of darkness that spiraled menacingly towards her. Then, abruptly, one vortex enveloped her, transporting her back to Rome.

"Aquila," Rachel murmured in her sleep, her mind's eye conjuring the image of a fearsome creature wreathed in shadows. Dark smoke slithered across the city gates like serpents, amidst a backdrop of chaos, cries of terror, and the intense heat.

"Aquila," she uttered once more, the dream shifting as she found herself falling from a balcony, her heart seizing in the brief eternity before the ground rushed up to meet her.

Rachel's eyes snapped open, a deep breath easing her as she relished the soft embrace of the couch. Shifting slightly, she suddenly lost her balance, tumbling onto the hard wooden floor below, her left arm taking the brunt of the fall. Grimacing, she pulled herself up to take in her surroundings—a dimly lit, minimalist apartment with a brown suede couch at its centre, void of any personal touches.