Chapter 20

~Ahana~

Swati

It was the name flashing on my mobile screen for last few minutes which was tired of vibrating continuously while resting on the dashboard of my car.

I ignored it. Again.

Though she knew that I won't talk to her now yet she would call.

It was ten minutes drive left to reach my destination when once again it vibrated with same name flashing on the screen. Keeping my one hand intact with steering wheel and eyes fixed on the road, I reached with other hand for that piece of technology which couldn't rest for a second.

Swiping it green I held it to my left ear and before she could speak I spoke up,
"Can't talk. Driving car" then hung up giving her no chance to retort.

It had become a routine of every year that she would call me on this day, countlessly, till I gave up and decide to answer her calls. Then she would ask me to keep trying and hold onto my hope that one day I would be forgiven for the sin I had never committed, the sin which took my family away from me, the sin due to which I never had a normal childhood like other children.

The childhood which had love of parents, fights with siblings, support of friends and a lots of memories to reminisce once it's gone.

I had none.

Mine was like the road I was driving on. At start it was levelled, smooth and filled with people whom I knew, whom I loved, whom I cared for. Then as it unraveled further with time it became more clear making those people scatter in different directions leading the way of their journey in hope of reaching their destination leaving me all alone to travel on a road which was rough and unlevel with two to no passersby.

My life was going on in the same way till today until I saw a person traveling on the same road, stumbling over the obstacles in his way just like me, the person whom I recognised as my friend.

Rheyan

He looked in pain, in trouble, bruised at heart yet denied to admit and seeing him like that hurt me more.
Slowly making my way toward him I offered him my hand to hold on for support but he jerked it off. I offered it again with a warm and assuring smile which said that he would be fine with me, that I won't let anything happen to him.

He stared at me. In hesitation. His hand unconsciously made it's way toward me. He wanted to hold mine but was afraid to do. So I did it for him, by holding his hand with reassuring squeeze on it that I won't be leaving it until.........

until.......

he wanted me to.
And I wished he would never want that.

*******

Familiar iron gates of six feet height came into vision indicating that I had reached my destination. A big hoarding, resting on shed walls above the gates, carried name of the place.

Aashiyana

The place which had given a new life to so many lives. The place which provided me solace. The place which supported me in my soltitude. The place which was the reason behind my existence today.

Parking my car in the empty spot of parking lot I stepped out of it after taking my phone from dashboard and the package of gifts from the passenger seat which I had brought for children before coming here. They would jump over me in excitement when they would see these.

Cheerful voices could be heard from the distance when I made my way to the playground. Tiny tots were enjoying slides and other swings turn by turn while the older children were playing dotch ball. Their innocent faces held content and joy despite the fact they had lost so much in their life, when they were just born.