Chapter 1

I was standing in front of the mansion which was used to be my house once, 'Ahuja Mansion'. My knees felt weak to move. Every step I was taking slowly towards it felt very hard. In all those past years I badly wanted to come back here. Now it was happening. My heart was racing so fast that it would come out at any moment.

I glanced at the surroundings around me. Everything was as same as when I left, garden side, pool area, lounge, everything. What had changed was the perception of the people living here.

Doors opened and Nikhil appeared. His lips twitched into a smile seeing me. As I took the last step he engulfed me into a bear hug. I too wrapped my arms around him. Tears flowed through our eyes on their own accord. Pain, love, affection, all emotions were coming out. I tightened my grip around him being afraid that he would vanish anytime. If someone would have told me twelve years ago that one day I would be hugging my brother like this then I would have laughed. But now it's reality. We were hugging each other as if there was no tomorrow. After a few minutes of composing myself, I removed my arms, so did he. He turned and wiped his tears. So much for his macho! I did the same.

"Come. Come inside", his voice cracked a bit.

I stepped inside the house hoping that they would also greet me the same as Nikhil did. Much to my disappointment, no one was there except some workers. A maid came to me offering a glass of water. I took it happily. I needed it to calm my nerves.

"Where are mom and dad?" Nikhil asked the maid.

"They are in the living room with the Kapoors, sir", she replied.

"Okay, take mam to her room and make sure she is comfortable." He ordered her.

I looked at him strangely. I hadn't met them, yet. Dev uncle was also there. I wanted to meet him too.

"No, I want to meet them first," I told Nikhil who was currently giving instructions to the maid about my likes and dislikes.

"Ahana, you go and freshen up. Till then I will talk to them..... Umm. I mean I will inform them about your arrival." He said to me but failed to maintain the usual confidence in his voice.

"They still don't want to see me," I said accusingly looking straight into his eyes.

He didn't hold my gaze instead turned around to avoid it. "No, you are taking it wro..", he was cut off by me.

"Don't lie Nikhil", I said firmly.

"Ahana", a soft manly voice came from behind me.

I turned around to see an aged Dev uncle with a grown white beard in his 3-piece black suit. Nalini aunty was standing by his side in her yellow-colored embroidery saree. Behind him were the two people who meant to me more than my life. I was rooted in my spot, my gaze fixed on both of them searching for any sign of love and affection in their eyes. No! They were still dark and cold as last time.

Dev uncle came to me and gave me a fatherly hug. I smiled at him then turned to Nalini aunty with the same smile but she stopped me by raising her hand. I would be lying if I would say I was not disappointed.

I looked behind her. They were still standing there. I slowly walked to them. My eyes started filling again but I held my tears back.

"Mamma" It came out with so much delicacy that my heart constricted in pain. After so many years I was seeing her, calling her. My all emotions were poured into that single word.

I raised my arms to hug her but she turned away.

"Rani, serve the dinner. Kapoors are waiting for a long", she ordered the maid.