Chapter 38

____________________________________

"I thought we were gonna get some McDonald's or some shit," Jade inquires as they enter the high-class burger-joint.

Well, it's as high class as any good burger-joint could be with its themed interior creating an atmosphere much more alluring than any commercial fast-food restaurant could mimic. The two or three metal dining chairs surrounding each small square table takes up the large space, making up multiple rows of tables throughout the restaurant. The polished light golden oak wood coating the upper half of the walls adds a vintage chic look to the burger establishment.

"This... is kind of like that," Kinsey eases as she takes in the space around her. Waiters are bustling around like crazy, while the diners sitting at their tables create a unison mess of static noise as they carry on their own conversations.

Kinsey's only been here once before but somehow it's the place that first came to her mind when thinking of taking Jade out to lunch.

Kinsey takes a step ahead Jade, stepping up to the hostess stand. The tall dark brown box-shaped desk looks like a preacher's altar with the petite hostess on the other side, almost completely masked by it. Despite her height, the girl manages to hold an aura of maturity about her as her sharp eyes refuse to express any sort of lively emotion.

"How many?" She expresses in a dull monotone voice. Her dark maroon lips tight after as she looks up at Kinsey with boredom and apathy in her body language.

Kinsey notices this and gives the girl an obviously taken aback look. Her brow raising in judgment at the girl's mood, "If you don't want to be here then leave," Kinsey bluntly remarks with eyes still trained on the girl.

"Excuse me?" The hostess questions with attitude and actual emotion rising in her voice. Her little body straightens as she leans in close to Kinsey with her eyes wide.

"You heard what I said," Kinsey adds nonchalantly, stepping a little closer to the stand.

"Hey, Lindsay," Jade smoothly intervenes, quickly stepping in front of Kinsey, noticing the way the blonde's jaw is starting to tighten.

The hostess's expression gradually softens upon recognizing the brunette, "Jade, what are you doing here?"

Jade sheepishly smiles, "Just came to get something to eat with a friend," she says, nudging her head over at the perplexed blonde beside her.

The hostess, Lindsay, travels her vision over to the blonde who's staring back at her with an unbothered expression.

Lindsay snaps her head back over to Jade, flashing a friendly smile in her direction. "It's just you two?"