CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

L O R E N Z O

Once my eyes had fallen on the side-view mirror and I saw three cars behind my Ferrari, I let instinct take over when I shot a text to Alessandro. He replied back almost instantly, letting me know that the motherfuckers had used spike strips, and now with busted tires, my men had fallen behind.

Motherfucker.

I removed my gun from its holster and gripped it in my hand as I handled the car with my other hand.

"Lorenzo!" Andrea was frantic and her fingers dug into my thigh out of fear as I removed the safety, "what's going—" her words were lost to a gasp that escaped her lips when a loud bang went out and I swerved the vehicle harshly out of their aim. I heard a soft thud, however, I couldn't afford to look around, not when I was trying to get out of this pursuit alive.

If only Andrea didn't lose herself in situations like these, she could've driven the car. After all, it was no secret that she was a remarkably bold driver, but she was as good as an uninformed person right now.

Having no time to answer her, I took the barrel of the gun out through the window, pointing it towards the vehicles behind, shooting blindly. Keeping an eye on the side-view mirror, I floored the accelerator as I continued firing shots in succession. Andrea was deadly silent behind me, but a quick glance her way had assured me that she was fine. Just in shock. I continued emptying bullets behind us, making gunshots echo inside my ears. Once the bullets finished, I threw the mag away, replacing it with a new one. While I'd been reloading, two SUVs had gotten dangerously close to my Ferrari, and they were closing in from both sides. The road turned narrow from the next turn, and Alessandro had already sent backup, so now all I had to do was lose them. Both of the black SUVs drove level with my car, the last one almost touching my car's rear, however, I couldn't make out the driver because of the tinted windows. Taking that chance, I shot at its tires as I rolled the right front window down and shot at the other vehicle's tires from my angle. The two cars seemed to have slowed down, and while my attention was occupied with them, the third car rammed my car from the back. I'd managed to keep myself in place, but Andrea had jerked forward, only protected by the seat belt over her. I'd barely recovered from the hit when a series of loud bands went out and the rear window smashed, tiny shards of glass flying everywhere. I crouched, trying to avoid the sharp pieces, my eyes immediately landed on Andrea, who hadn't been so lucky as a few small pieces on the column of her neck, and a few droplets of blood had stained her dress. She didn't seem responsive to the pain, her eyes snapped shut as her hands covered her ears.

Fuck.

I didn't stop to take a break after that. I fired relentlessly, managing the car with one hand around the wheel. I'd managed to pull away from them, however this time when I pressed the trigger, nothing happened. As it seemed the universe was trying to fuck me over. Motherfucking epic. Having no time on my hands, I raced down the narrow turns, braking as late as I could. Seeing a narrow turn into the city, I swerved the car at the last minute, the gravel crunching beneath the tires from going off-road for a while.

Once they seemed to have slowed down, I passed the two cars and turned a narrow corner, quickly followed by two others as I looked for the third SUV in the rear-view mirror. If I believed in luck, I would've been pissed at the way this day had turned out, however, I firmly believed that nothing befell a human that wasn't a consequence of his doing.

This dance with death was happening because of the life I'd lead. Always on the edge of the knife.

Maintaining a safe distance from them, I leaned over to the glove box and took out a 0.9mm. It wasn't my ideal choice, but I didn't have much of a choice right now. Deciding to take one last gamble, I slowed down, allowing the only remaining motherfucker still chasing us to close in, and when he was close enough, I focused on the side view mirror, my arm hanging out of the window as I aimed.