Chapter Eleven| Jamie

Start from the beginning

"Thanks," I smile as he walks me to his car and opens the door for me before rushing back to the driver's side. "So, where are we going?" He starts the engine and pulls out of the driveway.

"I thought we could go and get some pizza then go watch a movie." I nod and get comfortable in the leather passenger seat.
"That's fine with me."

A popular song from a Jay Z album plays quietly in the background as he drives. The sun is setting, painting the sky with orange and fuchsia swirls. A few cigarettes sit in the ashtray in his mustang. There's a faint smell of smoke, but the pine tree scented car freshener washes over the stench. He rolls his window halfway down, letting the fresh air run through the vehicle. I take in all the sounds we drive by kids playing tag, a baby crying, an old couple bickering, birds chirping, obnoxious music from cars driving by us. After a few minutes, we arrived at the restaurant, Mario's. The restaurant reminded me of an old pizzeria in New York; I doubt the pizza is as good, though. We order a small half cheese and half pepperoni pizza and two Sprites.

"So, what do you plan to do after high school?" He inquires. "Well, I would like to major in theatre. What about you?"

"Well, my dad wants me to become a lawyer like my brother, but I don't want to be a lawyer." He confesses. "Well, what do you want to do?" I question.

"I don't know."

The waiter came and gave us our pizza. I tell him how he will find out soon. We talk about our past, like how I was back in New York and how he was always compared by his big brother.

"Yeah, I know how you feel my parents always compare me to my big sister, Renee," I add.

"Don't you hate when—" He was cut off by a man's voice. "Jamie, is that you?"

When I turn around, it is Austin. "Hey, Austin, what are you doing here?" I utter with shock.

"The guys and I were having band practice, and we got hungry, so I came here to get some pizza."

"Couldn't you just have ordered it?"

Why come all up here to bring it back? It seems like much more of a hassle.

"The guys didn't have enough money, so I had to go to the ATM to get cash, but then I saw this place." I nod and realize Rider is sitting here awkwardly. "Oh I'm sorry, Austin this is Rider."

"Nice to meet you, Rider. Well, I have to go, see you, Jamie," he grabs his pizza and goes. "He seems nice." Rider says as he leaves.

"Yeah, he is."

"He said something about a band, so what band is he in?"

"They're called The Walking Rejects. You should check them out. The other members go to our school."

"Really, who?" He finishes up his soda.

"Do you know Cameron Harris, Micah Stewart, and Lucas Cross?" I asked as I finished my last slice of pizza. I wipe my face of pizza sauce and crumbs before putting my jacket back on. We get up from our booth and leave the restaurant.

"I know them. I didn't think they would be in a band. In your honest opinion, do you think they're any good?" He asks me as we start walking to the movie theater.

"Honestly, they are amazing, and I love their music. I think you would like it." He hums, nodding his head. I can't tell what he's thinking right now. He seems to let me in a little bit at a time. I want to know what's under this bad boy because I believe it's all an act.

"So, what do you want to see tonight, beautiful?" My cheeks heat up. Since I've moved here, I've been called beautiful more times than my entire lifetime. I looked at the movie choices; they were mostly movies that have been out for a while, but one stuck out to me.