Chapter 3. Glass Feet

The hellish outside never did come to the interest of dearest Gem only when defending did she ever actually have a childish curiosity, a dangerous one that is. For the comforts of the cathedrals and her lavish bedroom was her safe space from the obnoxious advertisements and whistles.

Being as it were there had never been anything to stop the mirror demon from stepping outside of her realm except for dances and maybe a private talk once in a great while with Rosie for those were the most times Gem could ever find her becoming most comfortable and not having an accented slurred voice of elegance volumizing to the point of Gem to bury her head in the soft foam pillows.

"If I gave my professional opinion" Sir Pentious actuated his bow tie and fixed his annoyed hat "A young lady just enjoys the sun at least once a day if wanting to feel refreshed and perform their daily responsibilities."

Gem unfolded the pillows around her head daring to look at her serpentine friend thinking that so much as even a glance of her eye would set off another unneeded scolding of needing to go outside. Nothing good out there anyway.

"Pentious I understand your concern for my constant, individuality," Gem said throwing her pillows directly in front of her dressing table by the windows much to Sir Pentious rolling his eyes at his friend's laziness "I prefer to stay where I can be myself and not have an overlord breathing down my neck doing his bidding. Already am contracted and one is enough."

The slipperiness of her bed satisfied draws as Gem was being pulled out of bed by the egg boys assisting their master in motivating their friend. Rolling her glass-cut eyes in playfulness Gem sat up gesturing softly for the egg bois to let go of her feet.

Sir Pentious hissed crossing his arms and watching as Gem sat down at her dressing table fixing up her makeup only ever having it on for when going somewhere or simply to practice the newer techniques of the newest year.

"I am not going out and you can't make me" Gem started with a smirk and shine in her eyes as she punctuated her pastel lips "Besides there are not many places where I can go and not be stared at like some glass Cinderella."

"Oh don't be such a meter," Sir Pentious remarked snapping his red talons and having the egg bois spin Gem around on her cushioned chair sliding her away from the vanity table and to her closet room opening to an array of boho blouses with matching capris displayed on mannequins. Many being of a monotoned pastel color palette amongst the various pairs of adjusted shoes both flats and ballet shoes alike having been tailored for walking with an added sole of sober.

Gem had the faintest of smiles when looking amongst her clothing aware that her friends' fashioned Victorian style would see it as indecent despite wanting to try more new-age clothing, compared to the newer generation calling her fashion choice vintage. She was proud to still keep her livelihood.

Watching as Sir Pentious slithers amongst her walk-in closet scanning for a suitable outfit for their apparent going-out celebration Gem still finds herself not wanting to answer and until all excitement has stopped outside not doing anything else otherwise.

"In my personal opinion, you may have clothing that would make a stuffed bird laugh but even so you always look the jammiest bits of jams." Sir Pentious complimented. Gem smiled and tweaked her fangs out of habit when embarrassed or finding something amusing in this case her serpentine friend's Victorian slang.

Rolling her glass-cut eyes Gem stood up having the silk of her yellow pearl gown sway just above her knee propping a hand on her hip "You can make me go but no I won't" she said with a flip of her reflective hair walking back around to exit the closet but had it closed.

The lights of the closet snapped onto a blue hue reflecting the painted city of stars above the closet ceiling. Gem's smile turned into a grin revealing the concealing sharp teeth that matched her fangs, being matched with the serpent knowing there was no use getting out of this until one made a musical point.

"You can be serious on the outside," Sir Pentious tuned slithering around Gem coiling around her feet "But you're simply missing all the fun."

"Prove it," Gem said, simply nudging her face closer to be intimidating.

"Open a door of this dreary castle sure it's bloody hot but the flames of hell can always be used for. For the melting of the resin. To hell with that look you were able to meet hell's three popular overlords, not that I'm jealous."

Gem shook her head, flicking her hands to make the stars of the ceiling fall around them "This place is my home, believe me, I'd rather it not" Gem rhymed "Sure they can call me a hermit or decoration see what I care. I live my style. Still, I am not going out" Gem stated firmly sitting down on a clothing bench hidden between two mannequins.

"Look my dear Gem staying inside will do nothing but have you indulge in sleep leading to an overall weight to your delicate form."

"Are you saying I'm fat?" Gem hardened her gaze upon walking to the closet door and opening it to the egg bois rhyming in tune with hairbrushes and perfume spraying on Gem's outstretched arms as another egg wrapped a pearl necklace delicately around her neck "I am still not going outside."

"Be my guest and come to join us outside, sure there is no sun but surely your appearance is bright enough."

"That's flattering, but even if I were to see Humphrey Bogart outside my door, I still would not go. To hell with fashion overlords." Gem started holding her head high and walking away.

"How can you be alive without what the limited; light gives? Surely you were just trying to die a second time."

Gem stopped and pondered for a moment looking back at the snake, taking in his words sure. The sky of hell was magenta and no bright yellow sun, but even if it were true, one trip outside couldn't hurt. Extending her hand, both friends danced and slid down the stairs to the nave.

"I may not want to go outside, but if you insist on your persistent health facts... Then to hell with it!" Gem smiled, opening the door of her cathedral, feeling the warm breeze of hell against her face, the wind blowing her lace yellow sundress with white flats of a yellow dandelion strap across the ankle.

Gems halted when taking a moment of realization that she was going out of all the times she had been. It was only for performance, but this was for leisure and celebration. It was like deja vu whine alive, only now it's in the afterlife.

All egg bois having, accompanied rushed out almost taking Gem with them had she grabbed the gothic gargoyle statue perched on the stone wall with a dried fountain basin.

"You can hug statues later, we will be late for the reservation!" Sir Pentious exclaimed, fixing his bow tie and top hat as if he wasn't narcissistically dressed enough.

Glancing up at the magenta Luciferian sigil sky. The gleam of heaven's moon, reflected in her glass-cut eyes as a held breath escaped her chest. Many times, she had admired the sky through her windows but only rarely when outside.