Chapter 5. Chatter Bug

Walking home never felt more irritating than having dinner ruined by the most flamboyant demon to possibly come across and not having the appetite to finish the leftovers. It was like a cartoonish Disney film from when hearing a character falling from a great height.

It was never intended to have attention brought to themselves and most certainly not have a tiny imp following them quietly compared to how conversational, displeasing, and even at most times concupiscent. Just that last thought made Gem shiver.

"So Aunty are we going home?" the Imp spoke rubbing their chiaroscuro eyes with the backdrop of yellow having drips of black tears fall down their red face.

"I am not your aunty" Gem replied, taking quicker steps hoping to make the pace. It worked for a moment as the second pair of footsteps could be heard falling behind for which Gem did not think of it for the jinxing of the Imp falling in front of her again. Her lips pressed into a smile but did not look back for there was no need as the Imp was jogging backward giving a casual wave.

Gem could feel her inner demons calling.

"It's easy to jog backward. Well, that's if you practice at like early in the morning approximately five or even six" the female Imp said only to subsequently trip over their shoelace.

Gem quirked a brow at the female Imp wondering how this red midget of a demon can do anything of a niece to her. As far as she can remember her mother was as loyal as Lilith is to Lucifer and knew very well that her sister never wanted any kids.

"We are not related. If this is some scam played on sinners just to make them feel like they have surviving relatives then you might as well fess up!" Gem leered down at the Imp satisfied at them sheepishly smiling.

"W-wait I can explain!" The Imp waved her hands frantically seeing how close those fangs were getting "I'm your niece from a step-sibling you never knew about!"

Standing up to her full height gem picked the Imp up by the back of her shirt before throwing her into a conjured mirror leading back to the cathedral.

"I already knew of the step-sibling. They are only part of why I'm in hell" Gem said stepping into the cathedral before the mirror subsequently shattered onto the stone floor behind her "Only knew by inadequate relation. Nothing more."

"That's sad, anyway, I am your niece or step-niece if you'd like. I died of cardiac arrest when doing my evening run. Eight years of Cross Country followed with proceeded physicals showing nothing wrong and I died of cardiac arrest. You know I better hope my damn dad doesn't dress my body in that stupid blue dress the same one he made me wear to prom" The niece made a gagging expression that seemed even to amuse Gem.

"White" Gem said softly sitting on the couch with her legs stretched out.

"What?" The niece questioned

"My dress when buried. It was white. I'm glad nobody cried as it would have made it harder to accept my afterlife."

"Damn, I hope they bury my music with me otherwise I'm going back and haunting them."

Gem huffed a laugh raising a hand to rub her fangs "It's not that simple. You can say I'm like bloody Mary as I can go through mirrors but that's not the just of it. I do not correlate with anyone here. If you say you're my half-niece then I guess you will need to stay with me otherwise you'll either become leveraged by another demon possibly an overlord to know my location or given that you're an Imp become a servant slash slave to another demon."

"Does that mean I get to live with you in this big gothic cathedral?" The niece questioned bouncing on the tips of their hooves "You know, like how Annie gets to when being adopted by Daddy Warbucks."

"Only if you abide by my house rules then I won't kick you out on the very streets you fell on" Gem stated holding out their hand to the excited Imp. Although she now feels curious about the newer films over the centuries past.

The mirrors sang like wind chimes as the Imps' beatnik-like clothing was changed to a more pleasing black capris and blouse cream top with different shapes of tan silhouetted mirrors with comfortable strapped boots with a single glass shard in the middle of the blouse keyhole neck.

"No niece of mine will be wearing rebellious or homeless clothing. My parents taught me that even during their youth with the great depression they sacrificed to look decent" Gem stated extending an arm off the couch to brush off the niece's shoulder.

"Just how old are you?" The niece questioned looking up at Gem noticing reflective silver spots across her arms and nose peeking through the makeup "How long have you been here?"

Gem seemed to ponder the niece's question, not fazed by it as it was more common than the thought.

"Old enough to know that not all sinners live even after they die. Long enough to know that isolation is my punishment and is the same punishment when I was alive."

The niece seemed to stare before their hair flared and smiled revealing their fangs with their white pupils widening out the black ring "You were in a mental institution!? Oh please tell me, where you electrocuted? Did they hose you down as they did with Miss Ives in Penny Dreadful?"

Gem's reflective eyes looked at the niece in bewilderment "No, I never was in a mental institution. Although I probably should have with how much trauma happened that year. No, I had isolated myself in ballet working my feet till they bled and my toenails would chip off. Never a day without working even when becoming a teacher to rest my feet."

"Workaholic" The niece murmured as if having to say it multiple times. "Anyways I was kinda wondering as to what the actual hell I'll be doing now that I've practically sold my undead soul to my undead aunt who is giving off an intimidating appearance all since she can travel through mirrors and has fangs like Count Dracula. Would have made a cool Metallica costume."

Reflective eyes rolled as Gem stood up from the couch and walked towards the choir looking up at the family tree portrait of names.

"Hey, I see my name!" The niece pointed "Why is my branch dead?"

"You died of cardiac arrest. Anyone's name you see with a dead branch or broken branch means they are dead or have moved off" Gem said squinting her eyes at a lower branch "Seems you are part of the family. Warn you to never say your real name outside of this cathedral."

"A nickname? How about Speed Racer or S.R. for short? You know since I used to run" The niece suggested

"My contracts never consent to change a sinner's name. Only under circumstances out of my power will that happen. Follow me, your room needs your presence and choosing preferred furniture."

"Can I have a moon lamp?"