Chapter 7. Inside Good Outside Bad

Pitter pater of shoes running across the stone echoes softly throughout the cathedral hearing the whispered chimes of the mirror as they shift throughout the day.

Having been granted the graciousness of her dear dead aunt in staying came with the toll of being the lady's footman.

"This is child labor" The niece muttered having been reorganizing her room which, to say the least, was coming along for a few unwelcomed decorations being both the floor and ceiling as Gem strictly said no refurbishing of.

When gazing over the wooden railing down in the center where the living room furniture was displayed was none other than her aunt who has recently been doing nothing but lying down and sleeping on the silk couch.

Contrast to say that at times it seemed that her aunt would blend in with the couch despite her lengthy stature if not for the way her white dress hangs off and graces the soft carpet rug.

Having not been here for even a month and already even she can see that this behavior is becoming unhealthy with staying inside all day sure there were the pretenses of the other demons wanting some piece of her but still.

She worried selfishly that should her aunt lay on the line even longer than she already was then her protection being an imp would cease.

Ruffling her white short layered cut hair mindful of the two black and white horns. Even after being propelled into hell, the niece found nothing strange in her new direful appearance accepting it almost as if it were her appearance when she was once alive.

A overcoming thought something that would more than likely change her outcome of residence and possibly make her be revived in hell once more. A thought that at the very least would seem to do justice in getting her hermit of an aunt out for just the slightest bit.

Squirreling down the stairs to not make a sound giggling internally when tiptoeing up behind the silk-white coach like a vintage cartoon robber sneaking out of a bank to not be heard.

Carefully approaching feeling a giggle wanting to bubble from her throat but willed to suppress it to not be heard. Palms of her red claws sweating through the black and white tipped gloves.

Softly inhaling huffing her chest as a tear slid from her eye from the simulation having played in her devilish mind. Letting out the loudest scream that the niece could obnoxiously make.

It was almost cruel

Gem startled awake like a cat from a nap sliding off the couch and onto the rug, lengthy legs squirming in different directions.

The niece with wide eyes in amusement at her accompaniment threw her head back and hands to her chest cackling.

The chime of the mirrors suddenly ceased as a hush seemed to have overcome the already quiet cathedral. Looming shadow peered over the niece whose hands fell to her sides when seeing the shaded face of Gem.

White and yellow glass eyes steeled into the little imp who immaturely and sheepishly waved with a small greeting of good morning.

"Explain yourself" Gem stated, arms crossed tapping her foot irritated.
"Well, you see I figured that we could maybe keep on steppin' and go somewhere fun?" Niece suggested smiling cutely.

Gem gave a pointed look "No"

Gobsmacked the Niece tried again at persuasion "Why not?" trying to get a general idea.

"Why can't you see that your being paranoid is what's causing you to be so obsessive over these mirrors!" Niece yelled, baring her fangs "I used to be on trackn'field I can run I'd be able to outrun any overlord if some–"

"These mirrors are what is helping someone of mine. I have told you once before, there are denizens of hell that would not care for imps such as yourself" Gem repeated crossing her arms "There is nothing more than someone of a higher lust or greed would wish to consume you."

With an almost pouted lip, the Niece shook her head and marched to one of the lounged chairs "You act like my father."

Gem stared for a short moment, eyes narrowing just the slightest before turning and walking towards the stairs "Perhaps he would some ideas on what to do with such a beatnik child."

-

Silence is always defended in a cathedral that no longer plays music yet more so when the argument of something precious is destroyed over the smallest of things.

Gem let out a sigh, eyes flicking from her white ballet shoes, shinned with the pastel green of her legs wrapping up to her knees, to her custom mirror showing the vexed expression upon her delicate face.

Thinking back on how her niece gave such an expression of disappointment made a cracked feeling inside her as if it was her past life was peering from within her like a mirror. Had being isolated for so long put such a paltrier on the way of living in this afterlife?

Placing a strand of gleaming hair behind her ear and spinning on the heel of her foot, towards the living room area. Seeing her niece slumped in one of the matching lounge chairs, an expression of disappointment attempting.

Parting her lips softly her only two top fangs on either side sliding just the slightest against her lips "I know of a cafe that while not killer diller would suit persay lunch?"

The niece glanced at Gem averse to what she said is true "You mean we're going outside?"

-

Cakes of different varieties decorated the display case. Niece couldn't seem to choose which one to have even with her red face smushed up against the glass like some child looking inside a pet store.

Gem smoothened her dress having gone for a simpler look not wanting to feel overly dressed for such a common occasion. Now, when thinking about that, she notices how much of a sloaney attitude she had come to adopt in these after years.

Instead of going for a petite cream-colored coat with a green blouse and soft gloves and a sun hat. No jewelry is needed when your appearance is already glittering like one.

"Hey, can I have this carrot cake?" Niece questioned pointing at one of the cakes, a twinkle of delight in her heterochromatic eyes, with a caramel base drizzled with a white frosting and a decorative carrot made of fondant.

"Remember cousin, we are only here for lunch and nothing more. Besides this isn't the cafe we're going."