Chapter 8. Fine...but you pay

Despite the mundane attitude of the streets when walking along the cracked sidewalk, spatters used to be blood having dried into mysterious brown splotches and other bodily secretions that both women would prefer not to think of as it would only irk their appetite.

The Niece smiled gleefully, excited to be able to finally run again almost as if she was back on the field again running in competition amongst the neighboring schools.

"No need to be in such a rush!" Gem called out from behind taking her merry time but taking strides to keep up with her niece. Having such a taller body in the afterlife proved fruitful in some aspects. "The cafe won't close until ten lovely."

The niece listened gliding to stop against the concrete creating a soft greeting sound. Glancing over her shoulder, smiling as she bounced on her heels waiting patiently.

Gem smiled softly, careful not to reveal her sharp teeth aside from the fangs that she could not hide outside her lips. When reaching her Niece's, taking a glance over. Passing a hand through my Niece's white hair to be rid of any dust. Satisfied Gem gestured with her head to the left side of the street where in the far corner hidden behind another building likely abandoned thrived the cafe she told of.

Ambient compared to outside. Warm lighting from the surrounding glass lamps. Gem found bristling places to be drowning out whatever one's conversation was trying to have.

The Niece bounced on her heels, hands behind her back, lazily casting a gaze for any available seats. A shiver ran up her back when feeling the soft touch of her aunt taking her attention away from the fresh smells of bread and pastries. "Do you know what you would like?" Gem questioned.

Niece dazed off for a moment thinking it over before murmuring the words ''Meatball Panini?" It had been a brief moment. "Find us a seat. This place has a decent time when it comes to preparing." Reviewing her answer watching as Gem walked to the cash register leaving her to find a plush booth next to an awning window allowing for a faint breeze to drift in.

Niece watched with a relaxed expression elbow on the table while holding her head up with the palm of her hand. Watching as the crows with teeth and beady red eyes tear into a hellish mouse having wanted a few crumbs that had fallen astray.

Catering plates against the wooden table startled her out of her daze seeing as her meal had arrived. "You can get your drink at the stand in the corner. I did get us both water." Glancing down at her plate the Niece noticed how Gem had gotten shrimp scampi, something that looked rather appetizing compared to the small meatball panini that sat in front of her.

Taking a bite proved different. Something that was brought on by shadowy superstition in the back of her mind expected her that the food would have been made of mystery meats much like what seemed to be half of the culinary items in every place.

Indubitably her mind seemed to have gone to her face as her aunt tilted her head, shiny hair swaying gently like a mirage "Something on your mind?" Gem questioned. Blinking a few times to bring herself back the Niece shook her head switching to gutsily the rest of her food as if she hadn't eaten in forever.

Gem tapped her glass lightly making a soft ring as her claws made traces with the condensation along the glass, an enthralled expression upon her features, hand curved tenderly against the softness of her pale green cheek freckles of mirror reflecting in the light.

The Niece held a lopsided expression brows knit together pondering as to what Gem could have been thinking while caressing her drink like it was some precious item. "You alright there?" She probed timidly.