Chapter 19

A year has passed quickly

A year has passed quickly. And next week is already our 3rd anniversary.

We still made it to our third even tho we talk less and see less each other now.

Hindi na kami gaano nagu-usap o nagkikita man lang kahit nakatira kami sa iisang bahay. We barely know the things that are happening to one another to the point that he doesn't know that I've talked more to his brother, Jay than him.

Nagka-ayos na kami ni Jay a few months ago when I went drinking with Crisel alone and coincidentally, he went to the same bar where we went out too.

We started talking again starting from then and thankfully, he didn't open the topic about my relationship with his brother like what he did last time.

To be honest, I'm enjoying Jay's company more than Gavin's now. But I still love Gavin truly with all my heart but his work is getting in the way.

I rested my head on Crisel's shoulder as I wrapped my arm around hers. We were walking and looking for something to buy as a gift to Gavin for our anniversary next week.

I laughed, causing me to move my shoulders and Crisel's too since I was so close to her, when I remembered how Jay confessed to me about a month ago about his true feelings for me.

"Estella. I like this girl but..." Jay stopped talking so I raised my left eyebrow at him while gesturing for him to continue.

"Go on. Go on."

"I like this girl but he already has a boyfriend. Do you think that I should still consider telling her my feelings? As the time goes by, it's getting harder and harder for me to hide it from her since we see each other almost everyday.." He said then leaned his back. He placed his hand above the steering wheel while he was playing with it with his finger.

"You should tell her, I guess. I mean she deserves to know, get what I mean? It wouldn't do you harm if you did confessed to her so go. Don't be a coward for the girl you like." I replied while playing with the lollipop stick I was biting.

"If you say so. And Estella.." He looked at me while still having his body leaning backwards.

"Hmm?" I hummed.

"I like you."

"Naulol ka na ba dyan, ha? Mukha kang tanga. Nakangiti ka sa hangin, bobo."

Nilingon ko si Crisel havang nakasandal parin sakanya.

"Patagal ng patagal, pasama ka na ng pasama, 'lam mo yun? Kawawa naman ng magiging asawa mo." Tumatawa kong sinabi sakanya.

"Asa kang maga-asawa ako. Men are bullshit, Estella."

Napabitaw ako sa braso niya at napa-ayos ng tayo dahil sa sinabi niya.

"Hoy, hindi kaya! Yes, men are bu- I mean some men but wag mo naman lahatin!"

"Want me to prove you that I'm right while you're wrong?" Tumingin siya sakin habang nakataas ang isang kilay niya so I did the same. I raised my eyebrow at her then nodded my head.

"Men are bullshit for the reasons why I broke up with my ex and why your relationship with Gavin is slowly crumbling into pieces-"

"Foul na yan. Gago ka, Crisel." I said while looking down. She didn't need to point out the obvious.

"If you say so. Let's just talk about my ex then if you're not comfortable talking about your boyfie who did nothing but to focus on his work. Sa totoo lang, para ka nalang bula sa paningin niya, Estella."

We jumped from shop to shop while she was reminiscing the 'memories' she had with her toxic ex. Nakangiwi pa siya habang nagke-kwento.

"He cheated on me with my friend, that's a sure fucked up reason to prove my point. He denied me as his girlfriend, that's second. And when he stole money that I worked hard for. He spent it to buy himself pleasure when I could have just gave it to my parents. And the list goes on, but that's enough for now. We should just focus on finding a perfect gift for your not so perfect boyfriend."

And like what she said, we focused on finding a simple gift.

Simple but he can surely wear anytime, a bracelet. A couple bracelet to be exact. Just thought it could be handy especially when we're far from each other.

We made the cashier wrapped the box with the bracelet inside with a red fancy wrap and she also placed a gold ribbon above it. I took a card then wrote 'happy 3rd anniversary, baby' then placed it beside the ribbon.

We paid for it then ate at a nearby restaurant.

While in the middle of eating, my phone beeped.

From: Baby
I can't go home tonight. Maybe until next week, probably. May importante akong gagawin dito sa kompanya. Take care.

I looked at his message for a few seconds before typing my reply.

To: Baby
Until next week? U serious? Don't you remember anything you need to do or celebrate next week except for your work?

I've waited for a few minutes, not making a move to eat even when Crisel was starting to get annoyed.

From: Baby
Your birthday was last month, baby and I dont think there's something to celebrate about next week. Bye, I need to go. I have a meeting with the stockholders a few minutes from now.

To: Baby
Oh.. Sure. Bye, don't forget to eat. You still need to take care of yourself, Gavin. Love you.

I waited for a few minutes again but this time, I didn't got a reply.

I placed my phone inside my bag before going back to eating even if I lost my appetite.

Pagkalapag ko ng baso sa lamesa ay saka naman nagsalita si Crisel habang nakain parin sa harapan ko.

"I told you, men are bullshit. Well, most men are and if you don't believe me, then I don't know what mindset you have. Kung ako sayo, I'll break up with him kahit sabihin pa nating mahal niyo nga ang isa't-isa. I know what you're thinking, Estella. I know what you're feeling and I know that you're already doubting him."

She let go of her utensils then turned to me.

"Kung sa tutuusin, mas may time pa para sayo si Jay. Si Jay na kapatid ng boyfriend mo pero may gusto sayo, si Jay na nasayo lagi ang tingin. Si Jay na tatlong taon ka ng gusto. Think about it, Estella. Is it going to be Gavin, Jay... Or yourself?" She sighed before continuing.

"The decision is up to you and just a piece of advice from your bestfriend, better decide now kasi kapag pinatagal mo pa yan, lahat kayo masisira. And once na masira kayo ng sabay-sabay dahil lang rin sa isa't-isa, siguradong mahihirapan kayong ayusin at buoin ang mga sarili niyong nasira dahil sa walang kwentang dahilan."

She smiled at me but it was not her usual smile, it was different. It was the opposite of a happy smile you usually see people wearing.

"Learn from my past, Estella. You're talking to a 'survivor', remember?" She laughed forcefully, trying to light up the atmosphere.

"We might not have the same situation in hand but what I'm telling you is a warning. Yang pinagdadaanan mo, wala pa sa kalahati ng dinanas at dinadanas ko ngayon so... be ready for the pain."