12 | 2020 vision

hello! I hope you're all doing well! this is something heavily inspired by my sister going through a laser surgery years ago, and of course, . not sure if i've mentioned it before, but i have to wear glasses, and boys that also wear glasses happen to be my weakness. it's a cruel world. i hope you like it!!

note: "chashmish" is a hindi word used for someone who wears glasses, also perhaps a nerd <3

A cup of Nescafè in a hospital hits different, Shawn believes as he grabs coffee for himself and her parents. He can only hope the sandwich he also picked up as an afterthought is good enough, too, the memories of previous subpar hospital meals still haunting him. This is less of a hospital, though. More of a really large private clinic that looks and feels exactly like a hospital minus the large numbers of people in it.

He hated to be that guy, the one that pulls the famous card for everything now that he has a career in the spotlight. But this one time, he thinks, was well deserved. And it wasn't even for himself, it's for his girl, so it's definitely well deserved.

You see, his beautiful, incredible girlfriend was being operated for her eyesight today, a laser surgery. She had worn glasses since she was a baby, she happened to be the youngest kid in middle school to wear contact lenses and had stuck to those for majority of her life now. The only reason why she even found Shawn attractive in the first place because he was messing around with his crew with a thick pair of glasses the first time he met her, his looks and charm be damned.

Her decision to undergo this surgery was long overdue, she was 22 and had come to a conclusion that she didn't want to have to bother with glasses and contacts anymore, she would like to be able to see without barriers. Of course the only barrier being this hour long surgery. Consequently, Shawn had pulled every contact he had in the field of ophthalmology and found this group of doctors running a high end clinic in the heart of New York City, conveniently her home city.

He had even been to every appointment she had prior to the big day to make sure she knew he was there for her, he was capable of taking care of her even if no one in his own close circle had had lasers pointed into their eyes. He was part of the reason why they took so long to set a date for the operation, because he needed to give it his full attention, after his tour was done with and he was fully on a break. Even when she insisted that the recovery period is a matter of weeks at most, he refused.

Her parents kept reassuring him that she didn't need the utmost privacy, she would be fine with their regular doctor at a local hospital, but he insisted on being there for her every step of the way, and this clinic, he felt, was one of the only places that would remain unfazed by his presence. So they had her usual doctor fly in to operate on her, she claimed he was the only one she trusted.

When her parents introduced Shawn to her doctor an hour ago, while she was wheeled away to be prepped for the operation theatre, he felt like he was meeting her family for the first time all over again. He hadn't been this nervous since the first time he met her dad and had a hard time convincing him about how he was actually doing well in his career and was worthy of the daughter they spent their whole life doting on. Meeting her doctor who tested her eyes for the first time when she was 7 and prescribed her first set of glasses is unfortunately the same feeling. Shawn feels like he's been analysed, but then the old man smiles and tells him he's glad she found someone like him, and his mind says hell yeah she did.

A nurse walks out of the room while he hands her parents their coffees and sandwiches and tells them that the operation is over, but the doctors need to run a few final checks.

She had cried the night before out of worry - what if it goes wrong and I can never see again? which honestly speaking, wasn't so plausible, in a worst case scenario they would have repeat to the surgery after a while, the only thing they really needed to take care of was keeping her from any infections, but he had read enough articles and reviews and stories over the last few months to know the exact protocol for infections and how far the nearest hospital from them would be in case they needed medical assistance. Not to boast or anything, but he felt pretty prepared.