10 | everything feels right, since you came along

Hello! I hope you are staying safe and staying indoors during these hard times! Here's dad to be! Shawn with lots of softness, use of the word Jaan again and a couple swear words.

trigger warnings: talks of weight, body image, mentions of anxiety

She knew he was bound to be home any moment now. He expected her to be ready so the two of them could begin the hour long journey to Pickering as soon as he was home and ready to leave, beat the traffic and all. She stared harder at her closet, willing for clothes that would actually fit her to just fly into her hands so she could be dressed already.

She heard the jingle of his keys all the way up till the upper floor of their penthouse, and she knew she was done for. She heard his usual, "Jaan, I'm home, where are you?" defeatedly calling back to him that she was in their bedroom. She felt exhausted already, tears pricking at her eyes and her face heating in shame.

That's how he found her. His wife of the last 3 years, his love of 7 years stood in their roomy closet, her head hung low in her underwear and silk robe undone, the little baby bump peaking out of it. He heard her sniffle once, protective husband mode kicking in in full force, and before he knew what he was doing he had her gathered in his arms and pressed against his chest. When he had her close he felt like he actually had a chance at solving her problems and making things better. So that's what he did.

He softly ran his hands through her hair he was sure she did up in the afternoon while he was away, feeling the soft blown out waves through his fingers. She was the most beautiful person he had had the pleasure of knowing, and if he didn't know what happened soon enough, he was sure he'd cry too.

"What's wrong, pretty?"

She scoffed, the sound getting lost while muffled into his shirt. So she pulled away to look at him and scoffed again. Pretty. He had called her that for as long as she could remember. Even times she knew she wasn't pretty. If he was holding her hair back as she threw up after a wild night out it was Let it all out, pretty or if he woke up before her it was Good morning, pretty time to wake up or when she would call him while he was busy it was Can't talk much right now, pretty - he used the word so much you'd think it was her name.

But she didn't feel pretty. Not anymore.

His heart ached as she looked up at him in pain, almost. Her makeup was done, the expensive mascara she let him buy for her stayed intact as hot, thick tears streamed down her face.

"Not pretty."

"What happened?" He tried again. "Did someone say something to you? Was it your mom? You should just let me speak to her next time, I know she doesn't really have a filter, but I promise you whatever she said wasn't tr-"

"It's not my mom, Shawn, God!"

He bit the inside of his cheek in confusion, now that he was left at a dead end. He knew her mom was a touchy topic, she always had been. And none of her past lovers had ever really understood her family issues that entwined with her trust issues until she met Shawn. sure, he had a pretty wholesome family, but he always went above and beyond to make sure that she never felt like what she did when she was still living under the same roof as her parents. He treated her well, better than anyone else for sure, and the proof of that sat on her ring finger and was currently growing inside her belly.

"Please tell me what I can do to help?"

She sighed and unwrapped herself from him. "You can't help. It's - you can't help."