9.06.17

Danny's Point of View

The front door opens a crack. I stop washing the dishes and turn around.

"Hi Danny. I'm back." She says.

"Julie? Are you really awake? After all this time, you're finally awake?" I start to cry tears of happiness.

"Mmhmm. I'm home." I run to pick her up and spin her around. I put her back on the ground, and pull her into a kiss.

Her fingers snake their way into my hair, and slightly tug. I cup her face with one hand, and hold her waist with the other. Just as we start to deepen the kiss, she drops to the ground.

Poof.

She's gone.

"Aghhh!" I sit up with a start. I check my clock. 4:37 AM. I turn on my reading light and automatically close my eyes. "Agh too much. Too much light."

There's no way I'm going to get back to sleep now, so I head downstairs to the bathroom. I open the hall closet, and grab a towel and wash cloth.

When I enter the bathroom, I brace myself for the harsh light that will soon flood my eyes.

Click.

I squeeze my eyes shut again, and blink rapidly to get used to the light. I reach into the shower and turn the faucet towards hot. When I step in, I let the beads of water roll off me as I think.

I absentmindedly lather the bar of soap onto my wash cloth and start to scrub.

Why isn't she awake yet?

Because sometimes it takes time for the coma to go away.

Yeah, no shit, Sherlock. Hasn't it been long enough?

Some people don't wake up for years.

But she's not 'some people'. It's not fair.

Just saying that it could take longer. Be patient.

You're a real smart ass, you know that?

Haha yeahhh. But I'm still you.

Unfortunately.

I terminate the conversation with myself before I have to bash my head in. I lift my arm up to the hot water and wince as it hits my skin. Looks like I scrubbed a little too hard.

When I start to massage my scalp, I think back to the times when Julie wrapped her fingers in my hair to see if we both have the same weird ticks for sleeping.

Later she discovered that it wasn't my hair, but it was my back that needed to be massaged to put me under. Soon after, I fell asleep, only to wake up to the bright light of a camera flash.

I chased her for at least twenty minutes trying to get that camera. Despite the soothing massage, Julie has fingers of steel. Even while she giggled herself into oblivion, she managed to grip that camera and not let go.

I smile at the memory and lean my head back to rinse the shampoo out. I hear the water slap down onto the ground and jump. That results in soap slipping into my eyes.

"Oh no ow fudge ow!" I stick my face into the water stream and blink multiple times. The soap slides away, but I still feel a stinging pain.

I turn the water off and grab my towel. I wrap it around my waist and step out of the shower. What now? I think to myself. I could try to go back to sleep, although it's doubtful I'll be able to.