10.02.17

Danny's Point of View

"Please?" I ask again. Dad continues to stare at me, eyes narrowing.

"Why should I let you? You've been acting nothing like yourself for the past 4 months. You were suspended for slapping someone and calling them a rude name, you break all kinds of rules, and you're out of the house almost all the time. Should I go on?"

"Yes, that's true. And I am sorry. It's just-" I pause. There's no way to explain this without me sounding like a selfish prick. "Julie's gone. I miss her like crazy. I know that's no excuse for the way I've been acting." Dad's face softens.

"We've been together for two years, and friends for years before that. She's impacted my life in so many ways. She keeps me happy. And now that I can't see her smiling face every day, I'm a bundle of emotions I can't explain.

"This is for her. You know how much Julie loves Halloween. I just want to do this for her and her friends. Please, Dad. They need this just as much as I do."

He stares at me. "I'll think about it." I smile. "Now go set the table."

I continue smiling like a goof. Dad looks at me expectingly and I snap out of my daze, surprised that our plan might actually work. I stop myself from squealing as I extract the plates from the cupboard.

***

After dinner, I finish my homework for all my classes. I check my watch. It reads 7:47.

I have nothing to do and nobody's asking me to do anything, I think. Maybe I can- then my face falls. Can't take the car when Dad is angry. Ish. Angry-ish. That's a weird-

I hear a knock at my door. "Come in," I mumble. Eli pokes his head through the crack.

"Hey, bud. What's up?" He walks in and sits on my bed.

"You aren't visiting Julie. Why?"

"Well, me and her friends are trying to do something on Halloween for her. And that means I have to be an extra good kid to convince Dad."

"Oh. Is she getting better?"

"I have no idea." I sigh and hang my head.

"You're not gonna start crying, are you? Shit did I make you cry?"

"Eli!" I screech. He gives me an apologetic smile. "Do not let me hear that language come from your mouth until you're an adult, got it?"

"But Julie says those things all the time!"

Crap. He's right, I think. "Well, yes Julie cusses but you aren't her, now are you?"

"No."

"Exactly. Now promise me you won't say them. At least not around me and Dad. Ok?"

"Ugh fine."

"Pinky promise!" He looks at me, exasperated. I didn't know 12 year olds were capable of making that expression. "Come on, its sacred."

"Whatever, loser." We lock our pinkies together and close our eyes tight, repeating the promise under our breath.

"Anything else you'd like to discuss?" I ask.

"Wanna ride bikes?" He looks hopeful. I smile.

"Sure."