9.05.17

Danny's Point of View

"Noo! No! You-" breath. "Can't-" breath. "Make-" breath. "Me! No, please! Nooo!" I'm crying hysterically, and I taste the salt of my tears.

My arms break free of Dad's iron grip for four measly seconds before I'm back in his hold.

"I can't leave! I have to be here when she wakes up! Please, no. No!" I throw myself away from Dad, trying to get back to Julie.

"Danny, you have to go to school god damn it! She'll be fine without you here for one day!" Dad shouts back at me.

"But I won't be!" My voice cracks and I stop struggling. I get looks of sympathy from patients and nurses, and I shuffle down the hallway.

The first day of junior year without Julie. More like going deeper into the depths of hell.

***

I close my locker door, more tears coming down. As I walk to science, I think of the last time I walked these halls. Julie's head in my lap, my fingers in her silk like hair.

I choke back a sob and try not to focus on her. I wipe the tears off of my face, and sit in the back of the room. Ethan winces as he sits down, as his skin is bright red.

"Hey dude. I just got back from Cali last night. Met the hottest beach babes. Can't wait till this year's over," Ethan says.

"That's what you say every year," I mumble.

"Anyway, how was your summer? I haven't seen Julie around yet. How's she?" He looks so innocent. A deep, guttural sound escapes from my lips, and the tears break free.

"Whoa, dude, what is happening? Are you guys fighting or something?"

"She's in a coma," I whisper, my head buried in my hands.

"What?"

"She's in a coma!" The last syllable is cut out with a sob. Heads turn to stare at me. Ethan face falls, and outbursts come from everywhere.

When Ms. Scout walks in, my cheeks are soaked.

"Everyone quiet down! I can't hear myself think with this noise," she commands. "Ah. That's better. Welcome back, students. I'm sure you've missed me?"

I tune the science teacher out, and try to stop crying, but the tears just keep flowing. Deep breaths, I tell myself. Just deep breaths. Finally, the tears stop, but the hollow feeling inside doesn't.

***

I grab my lunch from my locker and head outside. Tears streak my face like war paint.

"Danny?"

"Danny wait up!" I recognize the voices as Missy and Andra. I stop and turn, not even trying to hide my face any longer.

"She's- she's not dead, is she?" Missy's voice quivers. The girls' faces fall into looks of worry.

"No, she's not dead," they sigh.

"How is she then?" Andra ventures a bit.

"Well, her leg is healing, somewhat. She needs physical therapy, but that's not possible right now because... Well, you know. The neck is also bad still. And there was an incident with the nutrient tube. Some idiot forgot to feed her, and her blood pressure dropped incredibly low," Andra gasps, and Missy bites her knuckles to keep from crying.

"She's ok now, but they had him fired on the spot. This apparently has happened before," I look down.

"Hi guys!" A sickeningly sweet voice says. Looking up, my eyes meet Veronica. What is happening?

"Um. Hi?" Missy must be thinking the same thing.

"Does she legitimately not know?" I ask the girls.

"Know what? Why are you all so sad?" She really must not know.

"Julie's in a... A coma," more tears start to well in my eyes.

"Oh. Well, so?"

"Heh?"

"I mean, it's not like she's important or anything. She's doesn't need to be worried about," my shoulder twitches. "You shouldn't be so mopey. It's junior year. Isn't it time you guys got over her already?"

"How could you say that?" Andra starts. "She's like a sister to us-"

"You BITCH!" I throw Veronica against the lockers, and smack her across the face. I pull my hand back to slap her again, but fingers grab it and start pulling me.

"Danny, no!" Missy shouts. Veronica is slumped up against the lockers, her cheek glowing red with an imprint of my hand. The girls restrain me from hurting her again.

Footsteps shuffle on the carpet towards us.

"What's going on here kids?" Asks Mr. Summers, the vice principal .

"Daddy! This mean boy slapped me and called me the B-Word," Veronica's tone turns baby-ish.

"Come with me, now young-" he starts.

"It wasn't his fault!" Missy shouts.

"What do you mean, it wasn't his fault? He slapped my daughter and called her a bitch!"

"Because she was being a bitch!" They gasp. I don't normally talk disrespectfully to anyone, but there's a first time for everything. "She was talking about my girl friend in a rude way, the way she always does. The only reason your daughter doesn't like her is because she told her the truth and wanted her to stop acting like this. Like a cold hearted bitch!"

"Daniel Matthews! My office, now! And you two, help Veronica up." Mr. Summers barks.

"No!" The sass in Andra's voice shocks me.

"No? Excuse you, young lady, but when a person of higher authority tells you to do something, you do it." Andra's face turns red with rage.

"Excuse you, old man, but that's total bull shit!" Everyone is taken aback at this outburst from Andra. She's a good girl, she doesn't cuss. Like ever. "I'm not your slave. You don't get to tell me what I do. I'm not gonna help your asshole of a daughter do anything."

"Yeah! We're sick and tired of little bitch over here getting special treatment because her daddy works here. Now I know where the dick genes come from," Missy joins in.

"Melissa Roberts! Andréa MacKellar! Detention, all week! And as for you, Danny," he spits my name out like poison. "You may finish the day, but after that you will not step onto school grounds for the rest of the week. Your work will be sent to you, along with lectures and lessons. Now get to class!"

Great. I'm suspended.