9.30.17

Danny's Point of View

"The phone, the phone is ringing! The phone, we'll be right there!" I hear my ringtone go off. Julie put that on my phone as a joke. I start to fish it out of my pocket when Dad interrupts me.

"Daniel, do not answer that. It is dinner time," he scolds.

"I'm just checking who it is. What if it's important?" He sighs but lets me check anyway.

🐢Missy🐢 it says.

"I've gotta take this," I say. I tap the green button and put the phone up to my ear.

"I said no!"

"Dad, it's important. I love you and I'm sorry, but it's important. Hello?"

"Did you just say you love me? The connection got lost for a second but I definitely heard an 'I love you' in there somewhere. That better be just a friendly 'I love you.' It really better be, because if it's not I will hurt you for hurting Julie. I will do it, Daniel Matthews! I will-"

"Missy I wasn't talking to you," I walk upstairs.

"Oh. Then who were you talking to? Is it another woman? If that was another woman I swear I will-"

"Missy! Do you really think I would do that to Julie? I was talking to my dad," I explain, sitting on my bed.

"You love your daddy," She explodes into a fit of laughter.

"Really," I say, my voice flat. I sigh. "Anyway, the reason you called. What is it?" Missy takes a few deep breaths and continues to talk.

"I was wondering if you were busy tomorrow night. I need you," she says.

"How very informative. Need me for what, exactly?"

"A meeting. I need you to attend. Tomorrow at 3:30 in the old warehouse."

"Why are you being so vague? This is weird. I'd like to know why I'm going to the old warehouse at 3:30."

"So you're coming? Cool. I'll see you there. Oh, and bring a pen!"

"Wait!" I shout, but I'm too late. She's already gone. I return to the dinner table to ask if I can go.

***

I sit quietly, staring at the large, rectangular thing under a sheet and listening to the constant drip of water from rusted pipes.

"Meeting is in session!" Missy shouts.

"Why are you shouting? There's only four people in here, including you." Andra scolds.

"Because I felt like it, Andra! Geez you're such a downer." I snicker.

"Guys, stop it. We're here for a purpose, remember?" Amelia says.

"What is that purpose, again? I didn't exactly get an itinerary for this." I ask.

"I was getting to that Danny, if everyone would just stop interrupting me!" Missy shouts. A murmur of 'sorry's echoes throughout the room.

Missy rips the sheet off of the rectangle and I see it is a white board on wheels. Halloween is written across the top in black bubble letters, topped off with a squiggly line underneath it. Missy uncaps an orange dry erase marker and makes a small bullet point to the left of the board.

"Halloween is Julie's favorite holiday. She has always put an extreme amount of energy into it. Costumes, candy routes, the whole nine yards. Since she isn't here to celebrate this year, I say we do something together. Just the four of us, as a sort of commemoration for her. She would want us to enjoy Halloween even though she can't."