6.19.17

Danny's Point of View

I open my eyes to a small light in the darkness and a loud ringing. I roll over and look at my alarm clock. It reads 3:35. I grab my phone as the ringing stops, seeing five missed calls from Sabrina, Julie's sister.

Suddenly, the phone rings again. I clear my throat and answer, worried, but keeping myself calm.

"Hello? Danny, you have to get down here, she-" her voice is cut off my a sob. My heart pounds.

"Sabrina, what happened?"

"Julie got in a really bad car accident. We don't know how bad it is. She's at Grandview and-"

My stomach drops and so does my phone. I stand up, shaking violently, thoughts racing through my brain. I force myself to take a step, and then I'm bounding down the stairs.

I fumble around in the darkness, trying to find my keys. I touch the wall and hear a jingle. I snatch the keys from the hook and sprint outside. Tears stream down my face, sobs threatening to break free from my chest. My feet feel the dew on the grass and my brain tells me to go back for shoes, but my heart says eff it.

I rip the car door open and climb into the driver's seat. My hands fumble with the keys, trying to put one in the ignition. Finally, I hear the churning of the engine. I switch the gear to reverse, and slam my foot onto the gas pedal, flying me backwards into the street. I almost hit my mail box.

"Dammit," I swear under my breath. I put the car into drive and speed my way towards the hospital. It is four thirty in the morning, but I still should follow the rules of the road. I slow down just a touch, and cross the intersection by Missy's house.

***

I reach the hospital. Barely in park, I scramble out of the car and run into the lobby. I almost knock down a child and his grandfather trying to reach the front desk. Just before getting there, I slip and fall onto the desk, fluttering papers.

"May I help you?" A woman in scrubs asks.

"Julie Wells. What room is she in?" My voice surprises me by being stable.

"Ah. Yes, Julie. Sweetie, I'm sorry to tell you this, but-"

"What room is she in?!" She jumps, and my shout earns me many stares.

"Two-thirteen," she whimpers. I start running to the elevator, my bare feet slapping the tiles like dead fish. The elevator would take too long, I decide. The stair well is empty, and I climb the flight of stairs to the second floor.

I jump out of the passage, and count the numbers to thirteen. When I get there, the door is closed but there is a small, square window. People are gathered around a bed, and tears come to my eyes again.

I try the knob, and it opens. I rush to Julie's side, my vision blurring again. When I reach the bed, I gasp. Her whole body is bruised. Her left leg and right arm are wrapped in casts. Tubes wrap around her face and body. There is also a cast around her neck. Her golden hair is splayed out on the pillow, making a halo over her pale face.

"Is she gonna be okay?" My voice cracks.

"We don't know yet, sweetie. She hasn't woken up since the accident. Missy got out somewhat ok, only a fractured wrist and a concussion," Erin says, tears choking her voice.

"She's going to be fine. I know she'll be fine. She has to be fine," Sabrina babbles. Jason, Julie's father, pulls Sabrina into a hug. He grabs Erin's hand and gives it a squeeze.

Sabrina exits the room with her mother on her tail. Jason sighs and turns to leave. His feet shuffle on the ground, and I pull up a stool to sit. I hear the door click, and Julie moves slightly.

"Julie?" I shake her body a little. "Can you hear me?"

A nurse walks in, and looks at me with sympathy.

"You're Danny, right?" I nod. "She's always telling stories about you two to the elderly patients. They love it when she volunteers. She says she wants them to have one last happy story before they go." I smile. "Makes me sad to know she's in a coma."