10.31.17

Danny's Point of View

I press the button to inform a nurse, staring at her lifeless body. A woman rushes in and I point at the monitor. Her eyes widen and she calls in others to help.

I'm pushed out of the room, and my sadness overtakes me. I feel hands pulling me backwards, voices telling me to stop screaming. All that is going through my head is that she cannot die. I kick the chair Missy was sitting in a few seconds ago down the hall, hearing the clatter and crying harder. I throw my hands against the wall, screaming once more.

"YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME!" My heart feels like it's been shattered and I fall to the ground, head in my hands. The girls stand behind me in silence.

"You can't leave me," I whisper. "Please Julie, you can't leave me."

***

I pace around the hallway, silent with rage and sadness. My whole world has crumbled down in a matter of minutes. I keep looking in through the window but I can't see her. Only a few hours ago, I was getting ready to celebrate Julie's favorite holiday. Now, it's the worst day of my life. Or second worst, rather. The first would be the day she got into this mess.

A nurse walks out of the room and my head shoots up. She looks at me, and then the girls. My throat burns with more tears threatening to fall. I wait for her to tell me Julie's dead, my heart breaking even more.

"She's okay." I hear a faint voice say. My chest feels light, but it feels wrong. "The monitor got disconnected. She was fine the whole time."

"Oh," is all I can say. She gestures to the open door and I walk past her. Julie lies there, lifeless and dead looking. As usual. Missy walks in and goes to her side. I feel a stab of jealousy. I know I shouldn't, they're best friends, but for some reason I do. 

"Well, I'm ecstatic she's okay. I'll let you guys have your time with her." I walk out of the room and down the hall. I sit somewhere near the stairs and put my head in my hands. A minute passes. Then five. Then ten. I hear voices calling my name and walk to them.

"Where'd you go?" Amy asks.

"Bathroom." 

"Should we leave?" Andra asks quietly. 

"Yeah. It's almost five. We should get ready." Missy replies. They start walking. I take one last look at Julie before joining them. Today's going to be hard.