11.13.17

Here we go.

I hobble into school on my crutches, Danny holding the door for me, Sabrina bringing up the rear. He filled me in on most of the things that I missed while I was out. My parents finally came to see me, and everyone was emotional. Even I cried, but there was no happiness in those tears.

Over the course of the week people from school visited, but of course, I couldn't remember any of them. My grandparents came, and some of Danny's family stopped in. It was all very sweet, but also incredibly overwhelming.

The halls of school are buzzing with activity. Danny directs me to the office.

Great. What a wonderful time to wake up from a coma, in the middle of the school year. You're going to have so much work to make up, I think to myself. Mom couldn't be here, work called her in. Dad had to go on another business trip last night, so he can't be here either. You'd think after 5 months of me being half dead would make them want to spend as much time with me as possible. But hey, what would I know? I don't quite know what they're like anymore.

We reach the office, and Sabrina talks to the secretary for me. She looks me up and down and I smile. Her eyebrows knit into a frown, as if I'm something she should be wary of. What the hell could I do lady? I can barely walk. I raise my eyebrows back at her and she looks away.

She directs me to the principal, Mr Albright. Danny wants to come with, but the secretary tells him to get to class.

"You sure you'll be ok without me?" Danny asks.

"No. But I've gotta be strong. Now go on, I don't want you to be late."

Danny's face is full of concern, and it's clear he doesn't want to leave. He gives my arm a squeeze. "I'll see you later then." He turns and walks away.

I face the principal's office, not sure when to go in. I look up at Sabrina, wondering what to do. I take a deep breath and knock.

***

I walk I walk the hallways to my second hour.

"I'll see you after school, ok? I love you. Good luck today. You'll do great," she says to me. I smile.

"Thanks. I love you too. Gotta go."

"Bye." I walk in the room and hand the note Mr Albright gave me to the teacher. He looks at it for a bit and nods, but doesn't say anything. After a minute, I speak.

"Sir, where am I supposed to sit?"

He sighs. "Pick anywhere, it doesn't matter."

"Oh. Thank you." I turn around, only a few people in seats. I walk towards the back row so nobody has to hop over my crutches. I see an empty seat by the wall and set my things down.

A few seconds later, the bell rings and kids rush in. A chubby girl with long brown hair walks up to me with a scowl on her face.

"What are you doing in my seat?" She asks with her teeth clenched.

"I'm sorry?"

"Let's get started, class." The teacher calls.

"Move." The girl says.

"Veronica Summers, sit down or leave, I have a lesson to get to."

"But Mr Jackson-!" The girl complains.

"Veronica just sit down somewhere else, you're disrupting the class. Hurry up."

Veronica turns back to me. "You are such a bitch," she whispers. Ok then.

***

I open my locker as I try to balance on one leg . My crutches are resting on the locker next to mine. Suddenly, I hear a rapping on my locker door.