Nine

Her graceful dark hair was long off her shoulders and down her back. She didn't care as the tears in her eyes fell from her tear ducts and wet her rough cheeks. Her dark grey pencil skirt was still the same the last time I saw her while her blouse was unjust.

"Eden? Oh my dear." She grabbed hold of the bars turning round to the guards, telling them to unlock it, but they just stared blankly at her, as if statues. She looked back to me with pity and guilt sparking in her eyes. I stared at her in shock and surprise. Why was she here? Did the duke even allow her to visit me? Miss Audrey turned back to the guards and whispered something in their ear. One of the guards smiled slightly while the other hesitated, but nodded. I couldn't hear a word they said but my curiosity was not motivating me to find out much. I started at her blankly as she entered the cell and kneeled in front of me.

"I am terribly sorry, oh Eden, my poor Eden." I didn't know she cared for me this much. She noticed and and gave me into an everlasting hug. The hairs rose on my arm as she did so, skin making contact with my exposed arms. This felt different from the hug she gave me back in the minibus. This hug seems rather comforting than any other hug I've ever given to anyone. I'm not the hugging type of person but for once I felt comfortable like this with her. For all those years I thought of her as evil and full of wrongness, but I was wrong about everything. She cared, she truly loved us. And she would do anything to keep us safe, even if we've left the school already.

Miss Audrey released me and I saw as her cheeks were twice as wet as before. She lifted a hand and caressed my cheek. "What have they done to you?" She whispered. "I'm so sorry, Eden." She paused, thinking hard about something. "I'll help you get out of here." My eyes widened at her sudden confession. What was she thinking. Did Miss Audrey have a twin sister, perhaps? "I'll get you out soon, I promise Eden. I promise." She hugged me once again, probably feeling my hammering heart against my ribs. For once in my life, I wanted to be next to her, tell her I will be okay and be completely honest with her. But my mouth refused to open as I realised what I've just done.

My arms were already around her figure, which was thinner than before, and my head was buried on her shoulder. I would never have imagined myself hugging someone other than Martha and the young girls back at the school, and for some weird reason, I felt at home. This must be a once in a lifetime miracle.

"Hurry, get out." One of the guards who had hesitated hissed at her.

"How did you even manage to get in here?" I said to her, almost whispering.

"They would do anything for money." She said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"What about the girls back in school?"

"You don't need to worry about that, I want you to prepare yourself. Have motion, don't let them trick you into not knowing yourself anymore. Eden I need you to be brave, okay?" Brave? I'm at my weakest state right now and she expects me to be brave? I shrugged, wincing soundlessly as I haven't moved since the time I got here, and because I'm not eating the food properly I'm getting worse. Miss Audrey was right, she wanted this to work as much as I did and was clever enough to notice this before anyone could. I smiled at her, showing my answer without the guards hearing me in the quiet empty room. I won't give in, with many peoples help I've expected the least are here counting on me to do this, and I hopefully will.

*

Today is the forth week I've been in this cell. I know because I've been annoying the guards a lot lately and pushing them into telling me the date. Its been 2 days after Miss Audrey's visit and I've gained more strength everyday as I keep myself in motion. I didn't know Miss Audrey was this encouraging or if it was the fact that I'm getting out of here soon, but I knew I was hugely grateful for her not giving up on me, even when I told her I refused the principal's position. I was getting better and better by the minute as I worked myself up the ladder into being in full control over my body without pain striking me every second. Once I began to move my arms and legs, I started to walk. Once I began to walk, I started to move quickly, and once I was able to do that, I was ready. The days of pain and hunger were over as I ate everything they gave me, gaining the weight that I lost back on. At the first few days I had to force myself to eat, the more food I ate, the more horrible the food was. I knew the duke had something to do with this, he wouldn't want me to gain back my hidden strength and one day win over him. The guards report back to him daily about my actions, but that doesn't stop me from trying harder to know myself again and give myself the hope I've been longing for.