Twelve

My clothes were tattered and torn; the worn out material wasn't as good as I thought, but then who was I kidding, they were a traitor's clothes, they were supposed to be this bad. I mentally sighed as the rain continued showering down onto us. The meteorological condition was completely and utterly freezing. At first I couldn't stop with the trembling; it was so vicious that even Toby gave me his dark leather jacket to wear. He explained that he was from The Camp- once again- and reached into his bag to draw out a long thin coat for himself.

Ferlando just stared at him as if he was able to predict the future, I loved their relationship. It relaxed whatever situation we were in; for example, when a were in a serious and fatal state, Toby draws something out of his 'magic' bag whilst Ferlando just accused him of being a thaumaturge. Both me and Michael laughed, easing the situation from being rocky and awkward to being at tranquility and amusing by their facetious behaviour.

We had passed the duke's residence and reached the forsaken lands of nothingness to our relief. Both me and Michael had no idea where we were heading. Ferlando told me a few times that the middle east was nowhere within his home, not even within a 50 mile radius. Which only left Toby to sort this out. He was our only guide to the middle east, but if he continued through this deadly storm and inclement weather with only a thin worthless coat, he may be too drowsy to help us reach our destination. We had to think of something, a shortcut that could lead us to it easier and faster. We couldn't lose no more time, guards from the higher class protection services would-or may have already been having a search party and giving out warrants. We had no time to lose.

"How long do you suppose we have to maintain this pace?" Michael said, cutting the short silence.

After a moment Toby answered. "If we maintain at this pace, you say? Probably a good 5 hours or so, approximately." He shrugged carelessly.

I mentally sighed, deeply that everyone could hear it through the storm. "What's it like?"

"The Camp?" Toby said, frowning. I nodded. Toby gave this some thought, as if he was recalling the times there, making the ends of his lips curve slightly. He must have not liked the idea of leaving there for us. "I'd say it's magical."

"I'd say." Ferlando scoffed, not looking at Toby.

Toby ignored his unnecessary comment and continued. "Everyone would be of amazing help and would stake their life at all costs to save the life of one individual." By this Ferlando muttered something under his breath, something I couldn't quite catch. "We may not be all luxurious and posh but we are survivors." Toby said, as if directing this to Ferlando. "And that's what matters."

Before I looked away though for a moment, it looked as though Ferlando observing the ground, with a look of longing and sorrow.

I was rather confused and puzzled at his sudden response, I wanted to know why he reacted that way, why he didn't talk back as me and Michael had predicted, but I didn't want to intrude in his business. He seemed like a lonely yet cheerful person, maybe to hide his inner emotions; probably which are placed in the unconscious part of his mind that he's not yet aware of it, but instead I kept quiet along the way.

Hours had passed from the beginning of our 'walk' and during rest of the journey, we continued in silence. There were literally nothing in view. The sandy pavement and the forsaken meadows bothered me a bit. I felt lost, confused, hungry and tired- negative for short. No conversation was undertaken by Ferlando and Toby from the last time they talked. All I wanted right now was warmth and food.

I tried to forget my sprained ankle must have been too much occupied with killing guards whom of which I never knew to forget the forsaken pain. I clench my hands, I never wanted to be the type to kill. Never. All I wanted was to change the dystopian world without having to take brutal actions and violence. Was that too much to ask? Yes, yes it was.